Sold the a4 mkI but I'm not sad - why?

My live setup (playing shoegaze/Dreampop) is my A4 with my TR8s.

In terms of performance and interface, I adore the A4 mkII, but I always come away unhappy with the sound. When using 4 voice unison it sounds great and I have programmed some lovely shoegaze-y pads as well, which work really well polyphonicaly. But when using it as a 4 voice mono, which is really what I want out of it, I struggle.

I want to try running it through an Analog Heat, see if that helps getting me a bit closer to what I want, but I also get regularly tempted to cut my losses and switch to a DT & DN setup.

On the plus side, it’s pretty awesome having all these choices!

I actually like the sound of the A4 mk1, probably because I prefer digital synths to analogue ones so I am not bothered that the A4 doesn’t have a strong analogue vibe like say a Moog.

The main issue I have with the A4 is deciding whether or not to use the CV outs.

Ideally I would like to sequence my Snow, which would require either a Doepfer or Kenton CV to MIDI interface. However, I am not sure how seamless either option would work, particularly with regard to note lengths (I have considered MI Plaits, but sound/feature wise it is no match for my Snow, plus I have no real interest in modular).

All analogue synths sound crass till you add Reverb or Delay to them. In particular Moog. So the A4 is just as unremarkable. But it does a lot more.

Lack of separate outputs always got in the way for me. So, I got an AK.

The old A4 is gathering dust. Might start to use it for 4 voice poly - if I can find space.

IMO the best analogs sound great without any effects on them at all.