Smooth transition between kits?

Clever!

What is wrong with just changing pattern?

When changing patterns means changing kits, and the kits have noticeably different sounds, the change is more abrupt and not as smooth as the operator may wish.

When changing patterns means changing kits, and the kits have noticeably different sounds, the change is more abrupt and not as smooth as the operator may wish.[/quote]
Using performance morphing can’t always help since moving sample start points or slots will probably sound bad, and not all parameters can be locked eg machine. Using scenes , I don’t see any sonic advantage over just changing patterns, worse even since it’s not quantised, and you can’t lock all parameters e.g note or synth on/off. So far I quite like some of the transitions between patterns with diff kits, it can sound musical to me.

The stuff with loops and fading sounds like a pain. If I bothered doing this it could be fun to use a Detroit style spin back.

On the other hand, changing patterns is currently so unreliable that I will probably use all these methods.

When changing patterns means changing kits, and the kits have noticeably different sounds, the change is more abrupt and not as smooth as the operator may wish.[/quote]
Using performance morphing can’t always help since moving sample start points or slots will probably sound bad, and not all parameters can be locked. Using scenes , I don’t see any sonic advantage over just changing patterns, worse even since it’s not quantised, and you can’t lock all parameters e.g note or synth on/off. So far I quite like some of the transitions between patterns with diff kits, it can sound musical to me.

The stuff with loops and fading sounds like a pain. If I bothered doing this it could be fun to use a Detroit style spin back.

On the other hand, changing patterns is currently so unreliable that I will probably use all these methods.[/quote]
There is no need to lock synth/sample on/off, when you can lock their levels, this way you can have two different drum lines per track and use the scenes to choose which one is audible.

The idea is that when pressing a scene, some elements are replaced by transition elements, those new elements are also stored in others kits/patterns, once at the upcoming pattern you proceed to replace (again by using a scene) those elements with the default elements for that kit.

But changing scenes will cause a glitch in the sound, because there is no quantize…

I don’t really understand what problems occur with changing kits via pattern change …what kind of glitches occur? I can understand if you wanted to crossfade, but the transition seems pretty tight to me, if it works at all.
The big problem I get is with the sequencer not changing pattern predictably.

But changing scenes will cause a glitch in the sound, because there is no quantize…

[/quote]
Not necessarily.

Basically what we want when changing from a Pattern/Kit to another is not to change the Pattern/kit completely but to change just a fraction of it.

Like to start playing some tracks from Pattern/Kit B but keeping some tracks playing from Pattern/kit A. This would make the musical transition between those Patterns/kits more smooth than changing the whole content abruptly.
With the actual OS this is not possible, and that’s why we are looking for some ways to “achieve” similar results.

PS. We know that this could be possible using an intermediate Pattern/Kit, but the idea is precisely avoid using a third Pattern/Kit to achieve this.

2 drum machines? House method.

Dancehall method, let off an air horn or siren and announce your next cut through a delay on maximum feedback.

I always favoured mixing in the bit with no beats…

hmm 2 drum machines… that could work!

hmm 2 drum machines… that could work! [/quote]
It does!
I’ve employed my Volca Sample for transitional rhythm purposes only. Cheap solution, just needs a low cost active mixer (Rolls MX22s, Mackie Mix5) to get the last few dB the Rytm’s input sorely needs. But it does the job and hits the Rytm compressor nicely.

Sorry, I was being ironic.

1 Like

@Gustavo

any progress with your max for live patch ? please let me know i’m interested a lot :slight_smile:

Almost done with the snapshot part.
When the snapshot part is ready I will create the Push-Launchpad integration.

So far I have.

Snapshot for the next parameters:

Rytm/
pattern, track mutes, track level, active scene, performance levels.

Analog Four/
pattern, track mutes, track levels, performance knobs.

All work from a single device and it uses a satellite app to communicate with all the elektron’s boxes.

Snapshot is recalled using midi notes (if you set a negative micro timing for the first step, parameters are changed in advance so you don´t miss step 1)

there are 32 “banks” of 16 snapshot each (will be more banks)

bank is selected with the note velocity and snapshot with note value, this way you can place on a MIDI track on the Octatrack, one note with a fixed velocity on the first step, then use the arranger to transpose it, this way you can launch any snapshot using a single pattern trough the arranger, or use the OT keyboard.

I will add an option to link snapshots to OT A´s selected scene.

I also added a link to the OT crossfader. Any of the controlled parameters can be modulated with the OT crossfader, positively or negatively. My algorithm is relative so there won’t be jumps or anything, all adapts very well so far.

Also you can use the OT crossfader to mute unmute tracks. Basically the OT fader is divided in three posible states, A, B and “in the middle”, each of this positions can Mute, Umute or ignore any track from the RYTM or the AF. The same approach was added to RTYM scenes so you can have 3 scenes per snapshot to control them with the OT crossfader if you need them.

All parameters can be recalled instantly, quantised. or ignored. So for example you can set a snapshot to mute RYTM track 1 and set Analog four track to level to 64, and the app will do just that leaving the rest untouched, this give you a lot of freedom to improvise but at the same time helps with key points of your Live.

As soon I finish this stage I will put it public then if all works as expected I will start the hardware part with Push and the Launchpad

you can show me how would this transition in a video ?? I understand what you mean but do not know where to start jejej, thank you very much

almost done guys, check it on this video

Dear Gustavo,
thank you for the video.
As i understood it is necessarily with a computer?

All the best,

waldemaR

Dear Gustavo,
thank you for the video.
As i understood it is necessarily with a computer?

All the best,

waldemaR[/quote]
yes, you need a computer, may be in the future I´ll make a hardware only version :wink:

Transition for liveset is about to record your transition loop, set as sample with loop on function, in next kit its got to be same loop cell with same properties, so then you switch to another pattern loop keeps playing, i guess you have to mute it also, only one thing: it can run out of bpm sometimes for some reason😆
Works like in ot or about ot transition with loop on, try it out, maybe i have missed some details