Smells and sounds

Just opened up my new Rytm.

Getting to grips with it pretty well but two slight concerns.

There is a huge degree of noise evident. I’m guessing that’s just the analog way but this seems way too much.

When I crank up the level with no machines/sounds triggered this noise floor is big.

Also, bizarrely, there’s a strong smell of electric motor from it detectable from 2 feet away, like the smell you get when an electric motor is burnt out, if anyone knows that smell… I can’t describe it better that that;) Should I be concerned?

The only other analog machine I have is a minibrute and that has a tiny noise floor when turned up and smells like, um, nothing really.

… Brand new freshly opened unit, been switched on for 30 minutes, I might ad.

Correct PSU, nothing else plugged into it.

I bought a used A4 which I could not stand the smell of off !!! sold within 5 days… bought a new one, all fine …

since then, before every 2nd hand purchase I sniff around … smell came out within 30 seconds…

Smell I can live with, just wanted to check it’s not broken.

Noise floor on the other hand is something I should maybe get back with further info about once I’ve read the manual fully as I don’t understand the gain structure yet. Perhaps something is cranked internally despite it sounding so noisy right out of box.

Thanks for your info Trabant:)

Just found a thread relating to the noise issue. Adjusting global compression and global distortion has halved the noise level:)

Rytm high noise floor defect ( compressor? )

Check your master FX, compressor and distortion settings.
Dist will enduce noise, compressor will make it more apparent.
Edit, I see you discovered that… :slight_smile:

Proper gain staging is what’s most important as you no doubt read in the quoted thread.

Enjoy your Rytm!!

Thanks Adam.
Yeah I figured there would be noise.
I love the AR so far. It’s really easy to understand the basics if you’ve used one or two other elektron machines, mainly OT perhaps.
I’m sure once I scratch deeper I’ll hit a few walls;)
Lovely sound from the presets too as a base to tweak from.

Another hint for noise… by default most amp decays are set to inf which means the noise generated by the analog voices is let through. If you don’t need it set to inf, which you only ever do for pads or drones, really, just dial it down, especially on drum hits.

Cheers for that , dergit.

The noise situation is sorted:)

Also… On the up side, I’m starting to like the smell. Smells like an old electric track race car.

everything functions as it should and the sound from the machine is amazing.