Slightly Complex thing to solve . . . For someone who knows what to do

This might be your issue and solution:

10.3.2 SCENE VOLUME LOCKING

Certain parameters specially made for volume fades are available exclusively to scenes.
The XLV, XVOL and XDIR parameters can be regarded as a set of extra volume controllers on top of the LEVEL, VOL and DIR parameters.
The difference lies in the way they handle volume fades. Locking them accordingly will make the crossfader fade between the volume of the tracks or inputs in an equal energy fashion. This way of locking volumes is suitable when wanting to avoid the volume dip that otherwise would occur when the crossfader is used to fade between two tracks and reaches the center position.

The parameters are only visible when keeping a [SCENE] key pressed. The XLV parameter is found as an overlay to the LEVEL parameter found in all TRACK PARAMETER pages.

The XVOL parameter is found in the AMP MAIN menu. The XDIR AB and XDIR CD parameters are found in the MIXER menu.

The XLV parameter can be locked to two settings.
MIN will mute the signal, post track effects.
MAX will let signal through at the set LEVEL signal level.

The XVOL parameter (on the AMP menu) can be locked to two settings. MIN will mute the signal, pre track e ects.
MAX will let signal through at the set VOL signal level.

The two XDIR parameters (on the MIXER menu) can each be locked to two settings. MIN will mute the signal.
MAX will let signal through at the set DIR signal level.

Pressing the LEVEL knob while holding down the [SCENE] key pressed will remove the LEVEL lock. An XVOL lock is removed by pressing the corresponding DATA ENTRY knob while keeping the [SCENE] key pressed. An XDIR AB lock is removed by pressing knob B while keeping the [SCENE] key pressed. XDIR CD is removed by pressing knob C while keeping the [SCENE] key pressed.

(It’s a lot, but figure it out and you can do smooth transition or roll your own technique)

This is presumably because the octatrack lowers the sample level by 6dB after sampling in order to not clip the internal summing bus, which seems to be using fixed point summing math, not floating point.

So in order to have unity at playback, you need to boost the flex track playback volume. Sorry cannot remember the exact value but IIRC its documented somewhere on this board.

4 Likes

Hey @apmbpm,

@tsutek is correct!

I’ve also run into wtf moments when resampling the master output when track 8 is set to master- particularly when it has a compressor in one of the fx slots because that recorded output then gets recompressed when it’s played back through the master track again as a sample.

Just thought I’d add that as I think it’s worth keeping in mind as well.

Let us know how it goes! I’ll be at my octa tomorrow and can test things out on my own unit if you need some clarification then.

Cheers tsutek, that feels like what’s happening.

Clayface, I was wondering about compressing etc. but made sure there was none of that applied to the tracks. Also, I don’t use track 8 as master. I think tsutek is right. I now need to read back and find the value to boost the track by and then I should be good.

Thanks for all your replies everyone: this evening I’ll mess with it.

-12db actually. IIRC, you have to set Vol to 12.
Edit VOL=63 > +12db

2 Likes

This is yet a good thing to use 8 as master to get a good control on your volume level while doing the transition.

1 Like

I can do a recording to tonight and do some readouts. I have used and tested the transition method (using CUE and XLV) and never had to extra compensate for the -6db (or -12db) .

It is strange to read old threads about this volume difference and at the same time I don’t seem to experience it!?

1 Like

This is because you resample via the CUE and not the physical ABCD inputs. Or that’s the only explanation I can come up anyway…?

3 Likes

Same problem with CUE or SRC3 source IIRC.
For overdub with FLEX, I need to set VOL to 12 to keep same level.
Edit : in fact it is VOL = 63, if attributes GAIN is set to 0db.

I guess that’s it!

I am recording the level differences of all the above described methods tonight to see for myself.

I don’t like the idea of having to level compensate, my setup evolves as it goes and sometimes I’ll use track 7 (my resampling/transition track) for regular sample playback and would forget to remove the gain compensation… :grimacing:

Thanks for all the info! This forum is nice people :+1:t3:

1 Like

There is - 12db attenuation on the recorded sample, but also +12db default gain compensation in Recordings attributes.
That’s why you don’t ear it.

I’m not sure what is the best if you want to load a sample in a recording slot, in order to overdub it :
Set ATTRIBUTES =+12db or VOL=63 ? :thinking:

2 Likes

@apmbpm, I think you can change the tittle of the thread. Not simple.
With a new project I just realised that SRC3 MAIN as source depends on MAIN LEVEL, which make sense.
BUT, with MAIN LEVEL at 0, the recording is lower. If you set or MAIN LEVEL at 12, it seems ok. You can also compensate with VOL = 12 if MAIN LEVEL = 0, or track LEVEL 127.

To sum up, it’s not simple. It is important to choose Main LEVEL. Set to +63, it seems to
correspond to +12db. Set VOL=-32 to compensate. Or attributes at 0db.

2 Likes

With a new project, default settings, I think the simpliest to resample MAIN without volume loss is to set the recording track level to 127.

If you change MAIN LEVEL, you have to compensate.
If you use T8 as Master FX, set its LEVEL to 127, and plock its fx parameters to neutral settings when playing the recording only with crossfader.
Any thoughts ? @avantronica @Open_Mike @Clancy

Edit, that said, above is the simpliest but in order to have the best noise / signal ratio for audio outputs, maybe it’s better to set MAIN LEVEL to 63, and ATTRIBUTES GAIN at 0db.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I’ve recently added a Xone DB4 to my setup which has a looping function. However, I don’t want to “waste” one of the mixer channels for song transitions when I can use the Octatrack itself.
When I say"recently added" I mean last night. Still trying to ascertain the best way to use it with my Octatrack, Ableton and Analog Four.
So ways of working are going to develop over coming days but Octatrack transition trick seems a central mechanism.

i had the same problem but since i let the mains volume (shift + level) at zero, everything works fine

2 Likes

@funkymogli Do you increase track level to 127?

have to check… @work now :wink:

I usually sample the inputs, I haven’t tested main/cue/tracks for volume leveling. I’ve resampled but haven’t used the transition trick so volume leveling hasn’t come up…

In case it helps:
For inputs, Mixer dir: 127, track level: 127, amp vol: 0, Attribute Gain: +12

Will get you the same volume flex sample playback as the mixer dir signal regardless of master track volume and mixer main volume…

Looking at these settings it looks like you just need mixer dir and flex playback to be the same number when sampling inputs, however by setting them both to 127, master track level 127, and raising the mains to +18/19, the outgoing signal from OT is then the same level as the signal entering the inputs, which is very helpful for live sampling when using multiple monitoring methods…

4 Likes

It seems that in my case the main output not being 0 was the issue. I’ve set that to 0 and the transition is equal volume.

3 Likes