Single Cycle Waveforms with Octatrack

i dont own an octatrack. was pondering getting one. (but not in the near future caus$$)
but wait. you can’t take a sample. and just put it on loop? say… like the rytm?
that seems really strange for a sampler. ?

I’ll experiment a bit myself but I have to make some source material first, not sure when I’ll get round to it but I’ll definitely try it out. It will be good to know the limits :wink:

Yes you can just loop samples on Octatrack, the conversation just diverted from the original topic! :wink:

1 Like

Indeed, but there’s a relation I think. Here is an example of 16X16 Megabreack with 16 acid TB303 loops. One bar, only playing crossfader, with the 16 slices and other parameters assigned.

4 Likes

That sounds fantastic considering it is named ‘test’!

I would class the megabreak more like a large wavetable (or actually 16-64 wavetables!), but considering a wavetable consists of smaller individual waves, I can see the relation.

Well done sezrae56, thats a good example of a more subtle use of the megabreak, I’ve only used it/seen it used with breaks :exploding_head:

I didn’t make the bassline myself, so it can’t be anything else than a test ! :slight_smile:
If anybody want to try, download the files here :
Octatrack 64 breakbeat x 16 slices megabreak of doom:

2 Likes

Is there a sample pack of OT-ready waveforms somewhere?

yeah… second post in this thread…

1 Like

I uploaded a whole heap of Octatrack ready SCW’s here

https://www.elektronauts.com/files/459

plus theres other collections that other people have uploaded too :wink:

9 Likes

Thank you for those. The link in the second post is pretty awesome as well with the way it’s separated into slices. I should really learn how to organize samples like that sometime.

I’d rather choose 128 scw with Start points than Slices, limited to 64, but both are interesting.

Start mode advantage : more waves, can be modulated with crossfader like a wavetable, (slices are changed only when there’s a trig).

Slices mode advantage : you can change slices length, hence pitch them up (it changes the waveform).

3 wavetables I made for OT to download :
Wavetable synthesis

8 Likes

128 for everything @sezare56. No retreat, no surrender.

3 Likes

128 years old isn’t reasonable. :content:

1 Like

or kids

1 Like

Other start mode advantage: no set up :okej:

1 Like

Yes, agree that 128 is the way to go.

I’ve made a couple of lo-fi wavetables from my OB-6’s oscillators, which might be of interest to some people. One is PWM (the naturally silent slice at the beginning might fool you, but don’t be fooled) and the other one’s a sweep of shapes (triangle-saw-square). Both are tuned to C4 (169 samples at 44100), which I’ve found to be a useful note.

4 Likes

This was exactly the thing I was doing, I liked the pseudo quantizing.

How do you know how long to make the loop? You just use a guitar tuner ot something?

Length is 128 x scw length. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah so the scaling is baked in and any loop length will be a harmonic of C?

Yes if your scw is C tuned. You can have octaves up, not sure about other harmonics.

2 Likes