Setting up Analogg Overbridge in Renoise for Realtime Recording

Hey fellow cosmonauts, I am a simpleton and need your help. I have an Analog Rytm (master clock) sending sound to an Analog 4, which is sending sound to an Analog Heat, which is plugged into my laptop with a USB. I want to record some stuff through Renoise (as a MIDI clock slave) using Overbridge for Analog Heat.

Using a #Line Input device in Renoise [with the channel set to “Line In (3- Elektron Analog Heat)”], I can get the dry sound of the synths through my laptop, but oddly, the Analog Heat cannot alter this sound, whether Active or Inactive, even though the Heat is what is delivering the sound to my computer. Furthermore, the Overbridge interface in the DAW is only available in the FX panel, even though I think it should be listed in the Instrument panel…So the Overbridge DAW interface does not respond when I mess with the Analog Heat in real life.

My In Device in the preferences is Analog Heat, and my MIDI input device is Analog Heat, though the monitor does not show any text, clock, or changes coming from the Heat, although if I set the Output Device to Analog Heat, there are text updates. I set Renoise to be the MIDI clock slave, but its pattern window does not respond when my synths play, even though the dry sound is coming through the laptop. I can link an RNS save file if need be.

I understand that VSnares uses Renoise as a master clock to do real-time recording, but I can’t seem to get Overbridge to respond, much less record anything yet in realtime. I would be super appreciative if someone could steer me in the right direction. I feel like the answer is simple, but I’m not seeing it. Does anyone happen to have a template RNS file for Renoise that can use the Overbridge component for Analog Heat? I could make it worth your while if need be.

Overbridge only runs dry audio, IIRC. If you want the FX to come through you have to record them separately via the outputs. I’m not sure about the Heat but I know the Rytm works this way.

So you cannot record the wet audio of the Analog Heat only using a USB? It can only be recorded directly through the outputs? I just want to record what I hear when I plug my headphones into the Analog Heat

Yes I believe the FX can only be recorded over audio outs, not USB. The newer Overbridge (whenever the hell that gets released) may be different, but for MKI boxes FX can only be recorded via output not over USB.

Okay thanks.

So then, in this video, the guy can listen to and alter the sound through Overbridge only because the audio outs are plugged into his laptop? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjssWyb5hTw&ab_channel=Elektron

Then what is the point of the USB altogether?

Based on his set up I would think that he has the Heat set up with an external audio effect in Ableton to so he can apply and record the external FX to the track playing. And I think the USB is more for controlling the Heat with your midi controller of preference, i.e Ableton Push, etc. I very well could be wrong but it definitely looks like he’s sending the output of Heat somewhere, otherwise he wouldn’t need the output cables if it could be done soley over USB.

I’m tired and haven’t used OB in ages, but there is a way to get just the wet part of the fx summed out the main OB outputs of AR, to be combined with the dry tracks…
Someone else can splain…

Okay thank you

But it’s not true, you can pull the tracks from the mains and record the summed fx out the OB mains…

Reverb and delay can be added parallel to the dry tracks…
For dist and compressor you need to route the tracks through the mains, OB can only record that as a stereo pair…

This stuff is over my head, but thanks. I’ll just mess with it until something works. Wish Renoise and OB mixed easier. such a pill just to record something…

I’m not with my gear and it’s too much to explain every step right now, but it has to do with the AR’s track routing. You disable all the tracks from route to main and leave them routed to fx, then you get reverb and delay summed out the stereo outs, which are available with OB. If you search the forum you’ll probably find the steps to make it all happen, or someone else will chime in…

Electronic music making isn’t necessarily easy all the time, but the more you keep at it, the easier it gets, and every time you learn how to do something that sticks with you and you don’t have to learn that part again. Also everything you learn how to do usually makes learning the next part easier. If it gets frustrating, just have fun with what you can do and twist knobs and experiment even if you don’t know what’s going on, you’ll learn stuff along the way, then go back into figuring out tech stuff after some funs been had…

Thanks so much Mike. You’re the best.

1 Like

Hey I figured everything out, and it works great. If anyone ever needs instructions on how to record with Renoise, let me know

1 Like

Sure, how would I go about doing it with digitone?