Sequencing ext gear

That’s true. As well as the problem playing chords, that was already mentioned. Also, if you need options like alternative playback directions, euclidean rhythms or stuff like that you also could consider something like the pyramid.
Although, different playback directions can be achieved with the Arp-step-sequencer and again manipulated with the midi lfo’s. You can also set the Arp to specific scales… Pretty flexible.

1 Like

Unfortunately the conditional p-locks of the AR and A4 didn’t make it to the OT :sob:

1 Like

yes, that’s a shame…

That’s what grandpa said :blush:

1 Like

Then let’s keep up with a good old tradition … long live grandpa’s sequencing :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I owned a Yamaha W5 back when I was a kid and Grandpa was still young. Made an entire album on that thing. The sequencer ruled, by that standard and my own experiences as only reference :slight_smile:

1 Like

OT is more than capable of being a hub for all kinds of fun and games…

my first sequencers was the alesis MMT8…loved it …can someone explain "liner sequencing how that differs to step sequencing or live sequencing …can the o.t live sequence ?

OT is certainly a great midi sequencer, but it’s limited regarding to cc and program change.

The OT is very limited at capturing live performances. If you want something non-quantised you have to keep it simple. Been discussed a bit here in a thread comparing to linear :
How to turn Octatrack into a linear sequencer

do you think the mpc live would be a better choice of sequencer

If you loved MMT8, go for Pyramid !
I had and loved MMT8. I sold it and i do love better my Pyramid now.

1 Like

Is the korg es2 rubbish for sequencing hardware? I know it’s a pretty terrible sampler but i see them used for sequencing in few YouTube vids

Very simplified and not complete …

Step sequencing:

A step-sequencer provides a discrete number of steps and each step can store one ore more events, which are executed, if the sequencer moves from step to step. If we have - as an example - 16 steps, which could be 16 x 1/16 notes of a bar, then we can record or play back up to 16 notes, but not 17 or more. Many step-sequencer force the events to be quantised and this generates a more “machine-like” feeling. Some step-sequencer allow “swing” to overcome this. The OT has even micro-timing and allows each step to be shifted “laid-back” or “driving” individually.

Linear sequencing:

A linear sequencer records and plays back events almost continuously as played or defined by a musician. It doesn’t force the events to be quantised in equal time segments. If a linear-sequencer provides a time resolution of, let’s say 960 ppqn (pulses per quarter note), we can record and play back 960 different events during the duration of a quarter note. Recording and play back can have a “human” feel.

Compared to a step-sequencer with 1/16 notes per bar, which would be 4 events per quarter note, a linear-sequencer allows much more events per time frame.

3 Likes

I had an OT and really liked it, but if sequencing is your main interest with the Octatrack, get a Squarp Pyramid instead. The OT is capable and powerful, but the Pyramid still runs circles around it for sequencing. The Pyramid has very quickly become the most important thing in my entire studio, sequencing all of my hardware synths, software, and modular. And the Pyramid will only continue to improve, as Squarp are continually improving it and implementing suggestions from the user community, while the OT is basically a finished product that will only see bug fixes from here on out.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s Squarp or OT…

A designated hitter or a switch hitter (you know sort of, like, kinda, ish)

That’s a baseball metaphor than only works up to a point so sorry about that MLBers!

I have used my E2 (not the sampler but I expect it would be the same) to sequence my Virus. TBH it is pretty much as good as my OT but then I don’t need the OT’s arp and LFOs because the Virus has enough of that already. Also I find step modulation does not suit the synth as well as continuous modulation (which the E2 can do for some parameters though it cannot match the OT for setting those parameters, i.e they are fixed).
I suppose it depends on the features of the hardware you want to sequence.
Also when I step sequence it does not bother me that everything will be quantised as long as I can add swing, which the E2 can do.

1 Like

I think the term linear sequencing is normally used to differentiate between pattern based sequencing and non pattern based (linear) sequencing.
Some pattern based sequencers have equally high resolution.
Although the Elektron boxes offer 64 steps per pattern, this does not necessarily equate to 1/16 notes per bar.

1 Like

I agee with @Accent - if you’re looking for midi sequencing, the Pyramid is the one to get.

2 Likes

I don’t think so, also linear recorded midi can be used as a pattern by repeating it over and over. The difference is realy “single-steps-only” vs a “quasi continuum”. You can also record step-sequencing with a linear sequencer, if you put it to quantise all recorded notes and events.