Sequence Analog Heat from Octatrack

I think there’s nothing worse than a drum loop being full on smashed the way people are and do with things like the heat and the Sherman etc and especially now we have the Internet for people to show it happening in all its transient reducing glory, oh lol, full frequency distortion in one uncontrolled effort is awful IMO.

In ambient I’d use the heat on a very small send return basis and I’m betting with care and a Little engineering/experimentation it would sound great across a track if used sparsely, tbh i would buy a nice fx box over heat if all I was doing was ambient.

Throbbing ambient as Andreasroman mentions sounds interesting

1 Like

Yes, the amount of overheated examples of the Heat seems to have no end.

I feel I’ve hyped my stuff too much now. It’s not all that interesting, except to me and perhaps a small crowd at a club somewhere.

I’ll post something soon, if no other reason than to get some advise on how the Heat could be applied to this.

1 Like

Well, it’s usually all over compressed anyway so might as well just destroy it and get it over with :wink:.
But on a more serious note, I imagine people doing demos of these things over exaggerate cause they think folks want to hear the max grittiness and not subtle enhancing of the mix… They probably crank it for the demo far more than one would do for a finished track…

1 Like

Yes I get that, it’s a crying shame though as there is so much more to equipment such as the heat rather than just SMASH it on an insert and kill everything aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh :slight_smile: . I lived with a fb2 for 12 years and that thing could kill a tank with distortion if you asked it to but the clever processing and harmonics it will give you if you play smart really open up music, subtlety wouldn’t exactly come over on YT though would it lol

2 Likes

Youtube and subtle don’t compare :blush:

1 Like

I don’t know if you have A4 too now but you can use CV from it and CC from OT.

I do not, traded it for an Octatrack. But thanks for mentioning :blush:

I’ve been thinking about how Heat might pair with an Octatrack. Connect the cue outs to the Heat and bring the Heat back into one of the inputs. Send sounds out through Heat, p-locking settings on the Heat via midi, and resampling back.

Is anyone doing this? How’s it working for you?

I’m particularly interested in how the Heat behaves when being sequenced via midi. Is the response nice and tight? Do you get nasty clicks when sequencing the filter?

1 Like

Yes. I know someone who is.

6 Likes

Did you finish this tutorial ?

Finish?

Looks finished to me…?
Finnish? Norwegian?

1 Like

I’m following this. I make beat-less, droning ambience with the OT MkII… Short of sampling everything through an OD pedal and the Generation Loss, I’m finding it a bit ‘lifeless’.

I was looking at the Strymon Deco to add some tape saturation to the master out, but if the Analogue Heat does a similar thing AND can be MIDI controlled the extra cost could be worth it? I just want to sample everything to tape…!!!

Check this topic:

1 Like

Legendary!

Trick : It’s possible to trigger envelope / lfo with midi, sending an Envelope Threshold CC16, with a 0 value, and a 127 value before.

Step by step on this one, please. Too tired to follow your thoughts.

With your favorite midi sequencer :

• Set a midi track with same channel as AH.
  • In CTRL1 Setup page, choose CC#16 for CC1.
  • Place trigs where you want to trigger AH with CC1=0 value.
  • Place trigs with CC1=127 before trigging trigs.

(Short nights?)

3 Likes

You name it. Full zombie mode.
Thx for the explanation

1 Like