Sending Midi mutes to RYTM and A4

Hi,

my setup is the following, OT master, A4 and RYTM slave.

Both devices receive midi clock and pattern changes.

I thought about automating the sequencer mutes from the slaves also.

Both receive now the clock and transport midi information on the auto channel.

The cable runs to the A4 and from the A4 to the rytm, and is going to the in, and then the thru port.

When i want to send sequencer mutes:

(RYTM Midi )
Track Level 95 - 0-127 -
Track Mute (seq mute) 94 - 0-127 -
Track Solo (seq mute) 93 - 0-127

Do i now have to send on 8 channels for the rytm, and 4 for the A4 ?

How can I send the mutes to the A4 and RYTM only using the autochannel ?
Is that possible ?

1 Like

So i found this:

When i send 94 , i can start /stop with trigs, which is actually really nice.
But it eats a full channel, which i might need later.
Actually i switched the OT to midi sequencer mode, set the CC1 up to 94, and its working like a charm. (On individual channels, sending to the RYTM for example.)

But i wonder still, how to do it via the performance channel. The manual is not too clear about this.

I could for sure create performance macros, which do mute groups, and then send that CC to On and Off, - that would eat probably 1-3 performances knobs /CC but might actually do the trick.

I just wonderd, if there is any CC that mutes with a certain CC and from 01-16 track one mute on off, 17-32 track 2 on /off etc.

Probably midi ox would give a clue.

I had the problem, that the CC’s are still sent, although the Midi track was muted. I.e. i used it to send CC 94 , but the message was still send, when the Midi track was muted.

I will try out to do it via the performance channel during the weekend.

But sequencing the midi track mutes would help to automate volume sweeps, when I need it.

Either this, or I need to become an octopus alien with 8 arms.

Also: is there a work around for enslaving A4 /RYTM , the Octatrack has more banks than the A4. 16 vs 8.

Do you still stick to the 1 “song” per bank approach? If the sequencer follows the patterns, i would be limited to the 8 banks of the A4/RYTM.

1 Like

Ok, i found it out how it works, well it was just a little logical error:

If i send mutes via the performance channel. i.e. scene changes via CC92, i have to mute the midi channel, so it wont trigger the scene. I got a bit confused, because i need to activate the mute on the midi channel to remove the mute, as i use it to send mutes.

Sorry for your reading time, but probably it does help you when you face a similar problem. Also the scene change CC is not documented in the manual, i found it also via the forum.

Do you have the latest version of the manual (for OS v1.21)?

It was the old manual, I wasn’t aware that it has received an upgrade. I will re download it, and double check it.

I was pretty happy to sort this out. It just seems that arranging with hardware is quiet a task, when someone hast to pre plan everything.