Second Octatrack anyone?

So, I have an OT (and various other Elektron boxes). I’ve been dithering over whether or not to get a second and use it in DJ mode, potentially with a DJ mixer.

I’ve also been holding on, waiting to see how people react to MPC Live.

I’m mainly thinking of playing back long stems, maybe with some loops.

Anyone used OT like this? Any thoughts?

Ta!

1 Like

I would definitely get a second one if I had more gigs,

2 OTs and a dj mixer would be the live set dream for me.

1 Like

I use it like that for gigs, dj style with an AR for the backbone. It takes a lot of prep work to put in all the files into the OT, and it can be a bother if you use it regularly and need to update the song base every week. Don’t know if it is worth the effort, but the results can sound super nice. Then again, most dj booths have a cdj setup, so an USB key can do all the work. I quit djing so I do it with an Octa to ease my conscience, otherwise would go for the USB.
There is a detailed post on how I use it in a dj setup in a topic describing workflows, might be helpful.

yeah get a second one!

(and buy mine :smile:)

Can you post a link to your detailed post?

1 Like

Here it is

2 Likes

Thanks all. This is for using Stems I create myself btw.

I’m also wondering about topology. A MIDI clock master, driving both OTs perhaps (for balance)? Same clock passed to various Elektron units and others…?

I respect just considering a second OT! DJ’ing them would be fun…
I’d put my lab coat and goggles on to explore the possibilities of midi control of each one from the other, each sending audio to each other, and some careful execution of arps, lfos, sampling, resampling, slicing, etc… I’d be worried when I hit play it’d rip a tear in the space-time continuum and disappear! Kinda like how your not supposed to go meet yourself when you go back in time! :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll have to listen to your set to see what you mean in your text. It sort of makes sense. Do you have a video where you actually focus on the OT and show how you’re using it?

Hm, as a tutorial, nope. There are some videos of using the OT, but don’t think I filmed using it in “dj mode”.

I’d love to see a tutorial video. I’m not a DJ by nature, but I want to start doing some OT DJ sets more often. It’s a bit more complicated than I’d like given how I want to do it, but seeing actual tutorials might help make things clearer for me.