Samples clicking

for me this is the single biggest detractor from the rytm thus far. on something like a longer kick sample where the envelopes overlap, there is a distinct click on each trig which is not present in the actual sample. really harshing my mellow. anyone figured out a way to fix this? have fooled around on the amp page for hours to no avail, filter doesn’t help, etc. elektron, is this being addressed?

Try adding a slide trig on some of the steps that click.
It works for me on something like the Bass drum where I have p locked the filter freq on steps directly after each down beat.
I put a slide on the step which comes before the step that actually clicks/pops. Seems to work.

It’s to do with the behaviour of the analog amps, basically it doesn’t auto-close the amp if the tail overlaps with a new trig. Solution to either make sure the tail doesn’t overlap, or possibly try the slide solution that Martinukai suggested (although if you have other plocks present this might be undesirable).

I agree that it’s unintuitive that the amps work this way as it renders the amp settings useless in certain situations. Took me ages to figure it out too. Not sure if a fix is on the way or this is intended functionality.

clicking in samples happens when there is a discontinuity in the waveform. think of a sine wave cycling - the end of the wave and the beginning of the wave start at an amplitude of zero. if you re-start the wave 1/4 of the way through its cycle, you will jump from an amplitude of 1 back to an amplitude of 0 - this is what you hear as a click.

if you take any audio and instantly drop its audio to an amplitude of 0, you are more than likely to hear a click unless the change happened very close to or at a zero-crossing of the waveform.

this isn’t something really to address in the hardware, you need to manage your samples more explicitly. you’ll probably get the best results adjusting the hold and decay values in the AMP menu

The same behaviour is there on the OT, so not sure about the analog amp argument (is that from Elektron?). Here’s the OT thread:

The Electribe ESX-1 is also monophonic, but has very tight envelope takeovers. That’s a $500 groovebox released over a decade ago. I’d be happy to be proven wrong, but it seems like Elektron’s low-level code for envelope resets simply isn’t optimized for fluidity.

Open a ticket, and dual-users - reference the OT too. Maybe we can make them prioritize the issue?

On the OT, the click happens pre-fx/filters. Try rolling off the treble a bit - it should make it much less noticeable.

The same behaviour is there on the OT, so not sure about the analog amp argument (is that from Elektron?). Here’s the OT thread:

[/quote]
No longer own an OT but I seem to remember the amp behaving differently, I might have things confused though. Quick example to clarify what’s happening on the Rytm: if you have a sound or sample with long decay (over 1 bar) and place one trig, the amp attack will remain at 0 no matter what the setting is at on the amp page. No fade even at 30+. Cut the release so the sample ends before the trig, and amp attack works as normal and fades the sound in. Is this the same as what you’re experiencing on the OT?

Would be interesting to see how envelope takeover is handled on the A4/MNM/MD as well, if any other users could chime in…

Ok, gotcha. No - the new trig actually triggers with a soft attack, if specified. But the clicking behaviour described by OP is exactly the symptom of how the OT handles envelopes retriggers.

It’s extremely frustrating and requires a lot of fiddle and faff to minimise. Surely Elektron could add a micro fade on sample end/start to avoid this. These are modern day machines with capable processors.

I doubt it will ever be fixed though :zonked:

i wonder how akai managed this in all the MPC devices. i never noticed a click on my 2000 xl nor 1000 … or maybe i forgot about it :slight_smile:

in octatrack, the cursur changes to a little ‘empty block’ on a zero point of a sample. then you almost never have a ‘click’

Yea I noticed that on the bass tom too when it’s double trigged one step after another. I mean all the old drum machines seem to make it happen. Any double kick or tom will just sound rad. Even on the TR8. I feel like the AMP section could be better to sort out clicks too. The attack is usually useless.

HLD is set to infinite by default. Try turning it to a least 1 and see if that helps at all. Helps me…sometimes…

I agree though the clicking is a nuisance. Am I correct in attributing to it DC Offset? While I understand the AR has “sample playback” and is not a sampler (thus the OTs cursor), couldn’t they give us a little something for the pain?

HLD is set to infinite by default. Try turning it to a least 1 and see if that helps at all. Helps me…sometimes…

I agree though the clicking is a nuisance. Am I correct in attributing to it DC Offset? While I understand the AR has “sample playback” and is not a sampler (thus the OTs cursor), couldn’t they give us a little something for the pain? [/quote]
Yes tried the hold thing and sometimes that works for sure.