Sample the "audio in" of the OT

Hi everybody !

I finally bought an Octatrack two days ago - wait 3 years, 7 years for the monomachine kek - and i’m blown away by its capacities.

On ableton, i’m like a re-sample addict and i would like to do the same thing on the octatrack.

Can I, for the example, sample the sound of T1 (with trig parameters, effects) and resample it so I have those effects and can add another reverb, another filter, slice it …

Thanks !

Yeah you can do that no probs. Tons of options for resampling on OT :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have, in a few words, some tips in order to achieve a similar result ?

Just select track or master/cue as Rec source and you’re good to go :slight_smile:

Edit - haven’t used my OT in a while and don’t have it in front of me to remind me of the shortcut to get to the sampling page. From memory it’s like ‘func + top left red button’. Don’t hold me to that tho :wink:

1 Like

Thanks a lot man. I’m gonna check this out this evening and inform you of the results ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are Three recording sources
A :: B
C :: D
SRC3

SRC3 can be lots of ‘sources’ i.e. T1 / T2 / Cue / Main etc

You can also record from all Three together, so it pays to read the basic tutorials in the manual and watch the videos … there’s so much depth to the OT that you cannot cut these corners, it’s gonna take a few goes for it all to stick, but the best plan is to try a bit of everything imho but focus on doing a few of your essentials to build up your confidence

1 Like

Thanks. I just begin to understand how this machine works. I had some difficulties when I started to use the MnM but now things goes better !

Hope it will be the same for the OT. Ahaha yes, all is a matter of confidence. I’m reading the manual atm, it would be fine soon !

Take a look at videos for ‘the pattern transition trick’. It’s a good analog for what you’re trying to do and goes through resampling as a concept in depth.

Heya Avantronica – I’ve been re-sampling quite a bit on OT lately and I’ve noticed a strange behavior for SRC3: No matter which track I sample from using SRC3 it always loses 12db of volume. I’ve searched and dug and scraped through the manual and chatted with friends that are OT experts. Nobody seems to know. Have you experienced this and do you know of a workaround ?

A / B and C / D always record at full volume … SRC3 always lower … my workaround is either massively boost the levels or boost the sample, but this can create clipping and other artifacts. My ridiculous solution (which worked) was to take a cable from cue out L/R and go into A/B and re-sample the cue. Seems like there should be an internal option — it is after all a super sampler.

Cheers!
Walter (on off on)

I don’t believe they do, always -12dB there too, it just gets a 12dB boost afterwards

I had some perhaps overly irritated thoughts about it originally, but I’ve come to accept the possible wisdom in the approach of protecting against clipping in all circumstances

2 Likes

I need to very carefully run through settings again and find out how I fixed the issue on my A-B/C-D input recording track. I actually have my sample gain set to 0 in the editor and the amp volume set to default 12-oclock. Some setting somewhere got it to rec at the exact volume that it would play via the thru-tracks. I can’t figure out the SRC3 — but I’m going to keep trying ! There must be a way…

I read your posts and frustrations … and in the end I think I feel the same way – perhaps such a brilliant sampler is worthy of us finding these little workarounds to deal with perceived design issues heheheheh

Thanks for the quick response man !

Another option for in-the-box sampling is to set the “sample slot” of your Flex Machine track to the recorder buffer of another track. You can then use the Flex machine to slice the audio in the recorder buffer, mess with sample start time, apply FX to it, etc. Note the recorder buffer audio will not include FX added by the other track. So say your Track 2 is a Pickup Machine track, with a Reverb effect, and your Track 3 is a Flex Machine. When you set Track 3’s Sample Slot to R2, Track 3 will work with the raw audio of Track 2 - you won’t hear the Reverb of Track 2. If you do want the FX of Track 2, then you have to go the other route advised by the others, which is to set SRC3 to T2.

Recorder buffers will show up as 'R1", “R2”, etc. when you use the sample slot browser.

0dBFS is always an unwelcome guest in digital audio for sure. And is this really an issue with 24bit sampling? -12dB reduces only 2 bits worth of data, 22bit still left :diddly:

Then there’s the possibilty of intersample peaks? Or does that only apply to DA conversion? -12dB would do well to eliminate any chances of that happening.

1 Like

@Wynd For resampling I found the use of one shot trig is really helpful.
With recording buffer set to e.g. 16 you can get the exact length of the sequence.
You can put the one-shot trig where you want, e.g. on trig 9 and have your sequence start elsewhere.

Then normalize, save as new, you got a cool sequence good to go !

1 Like

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your replies !!!
I tried all the things you said, and gosh… It is purely mindblowing !

1 Like