Sample chain help

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I need a bit of help with using sample chains in the digitakt. I can see that pressing and turning the sample start encoder increases the sample start by 4 each time. So does this mean that I need my sample chain to have 30 samples? (120/4). Also, I recall seeing a tool for making sample chains on here before - could someone point me to this please? Cheers

Nobody is using these with the digitakt?

…well, that’s way more ot’s domain…

not sure right now, if different sample start points in a longer recording, can be parameter locked in the raw sample itself…
so only different starting positions can be used for that, which is a way different approach than predefinable slicing positions as u can find them in the octatrack…
therefore, there are no such rules like certain amounts of like 30 samples in something u could call a chain in the takt…

How many slots does digitakt have? If it’s 120 (same as AR) and you’re on osx you can use this I made LopoChainer - easy sample chains for OS X

Yes, there’s 120 slots and it’s easy to change the sample start point by 4 (press and turn the encoder). I think it should be easy to parameter lock this.

Apologies for resurrecting this thread from the dead, but I’m just curious about this. Are we saying that it’s possible to shift sample start position with precision on the DT if I have, for example, 8 different hi-hats spread evenly across a single sample? I’m seeing 120 mentioned above but that seems like an unusual number rather than 8, 16, 32 or 64 etc.

I’ve had some good results from having a short plucky envelope and shifting start point across a long, evolving sound to get timbral variety but obviously this isn’t so simple with distinct separate percussive sounds that have transients and a precise start point.

120 does seem to be the magic number for creating equal divisions on the digitakt.
You can generally get a sample broken into even sections of 16 on the dt if you set each start point by multiples of 7.5 (I.e. 0, 7.5, 15, 22.5, etc). 7.5x16 is 120. The dt start point value maxes at 120 which is probably why everything factors well with that number.

1 Like

Just been playing with this. IMO 30 is the ideal number of a chain on the Digitakt as you can then hold down the start encoder and it jumps in increments of 4, so no manual tweaking required to get the start time correct.

I used Octachainer and it seemed to work well in general, although I did accidentally create a chain with one longer sample which resulted in the whole chain being long (4 mins) and some of the sample starts sounded clipped for some reason.

Cool technique anyway, feels like a nice way to group related drum hits together and easily scroll through them (eg 30 electronic kicks, 30 acoustic kicks etc each in their own sample). Don’t really feel like I need 120 samples per chain, I’ll be back in “overwhelmed by number of samples” territory :wink: