Rytm Sample quality

Thanks

1 Like

I guess it can totally depend on how close to ”perfection” your source samples already sound. With some perfectly processed sample content, any change in the timbre can be undesirable. For such content, I’d imagine the DT or OT being a better fit, the rytm shines the most when you want some ”mojo” to your sounds.

that fact is of course common knowledge, but not that the device does not do a conversion but just speed the sample up.

Just had a good read of that suggested post, thanks. I’m going to download Audio Move and convert my DMD3 samples to the correct format and have a go now. The wife’s just gone out for the night so it’s synth O’Clock!
Cheers guys :slight_smile:

2 Likes

have fun :thup:

I do all the prep before submitting, so for me the abilities of the AR are not a concern - it does do some stuff when uploading (drops the right channel), but I don’t know about rate conversion, I clearly presume not, thus my comment … I’d rather trust other utilities - issues of this nature are not uncommon to read about, that’s why I threw it in

indeed this post suggests I’m mistaken about AR’s ability to convert if sent via c6 - not sure if I’d rely on it though

also the RYTM will need to process 24bit samples presumably (which the OT can handle) - again, I’d just prepare 16/48/mono in an editor

1 Like

Ahem - I forgot I wrote this quote from some document

1 Like

right thanks for all the help guys!
Downloaded AudioMove which is a free sample converter, put the samples into the machine once done and bingo!
been doing some a/b between the sample playing on the mac and on the Rytm and its all good! Ive maybe been a bit anal about this but I knew something wasn’t right, I have a keen ear after 12 years of production and this was killing me. I had been under the impression that the box does a good job of converting from other threads on here.

thanks again for the help!

4 Likes

If your picky about your samples, everything counts. Also really no point in sending incorrectly formatted samples to the rytm if one can easily use the correct format (with the aid of some batch processing tools obvsly)

its made a world of difference!

3 Likes

I always let the Rytm deal with the conversion and love how samples sound in it, but would be interesting to hear the difference if batch converted before uploading them.

If I have time, I’ll find a sample based pattern I’ve made and make a copy of it using pre-converted samples to compare.

1 Like

Have you stuck with that workflow? Definitely going to give this a shot myself

Personally, I have gone through many efforts to get samples to sound truer to the source. I’ve been recording mono from existing synths I own into an AR with no comp or drive and a cleared track/filter settings. I’ve imported via Elektron Transfer.

Really more of a nitpick in my case. I don’t hate the sound but it suits certain samples better when I intend to mangle them. Sometimes I’ll write a little lead or washy chord section and just want to record it onto the RYTM and have it retain the original character.

Which is why this subject is pretty appealing to me. I have maybe 30 random pad and atmospheric sounds from a prophet 6 I had to sell. I’d love to just bring those in so I have them for use on the AR but they get taken over by the AR character too quickly.

1 Like

For years I’m converting with SoX + UNIX shell (even on Winblows). Honestly, I’m yet to find a better-sounding and more adaptable solution.

Oh, and if You need extreme stretching/pitch shifting - add Rubberband to the mix.

Nah let the Rytm go.
Just couldn’t get away with it. Got a MD and. Digitakt. Happy enough for now. Might let the DT go though because I’ve managed to get an OT MK2

Actually could you speak to the OT and it’s natural sample handling?

I’ve been thinking I’ll end up with the OT in the long run because I’m not crazy about the AR pads/perf mode.

From what I gather is a slightly lower sample rate but overall probably more transparent.

As someone else who has actively nerded out about this stuff, I’d love an option.

Just the raw facts:

AR: 24bit 16bit/48kHz MONO (via 24 bit converters)
OT: 24bit/44.1kHz STEREO (supports also 16bit to spare some memory)

3 Likes

AR: 16bit/48kHz mono!

4 Likes

Thanx, I corrected my comment. The AR has built-in 24bit converters, but uses just a 16bit engine.

2 Likes

Interesting! :slight_smile: