RYTM, FOUR, and Octatrack SAMPLING

Dear Elektron squids.

What I want to accomplish - Individual sounds from projects off my RYTM to Octatrack to arrange for live performances. (A4 as-well)

Why - I would rather record individual samples into octatrack from RYTM projects than to record loops that I cannot tweak. ( not sure if that’s entirely true in respects to loops recorded in THRU machines - had this thing for like 5 days so probably dont even know what im talking about, bare with me here)

How? - This is why I am here, I have been secretly reading the manual at work but I cant seem to wrap my head around sample recording. I look for tutorials on youtube but I can’t find anyone with a video of doing this with a RYTM to Octatrack sampling.

My focus is bringing my synced projects from both RYTM and A4 to a live stage without bringing them along and just using OCTATRACK to do its job.

If you want individual sounds to use as a ‘kit’ in the Octatrack I believe slices is your best friend. This is one way that works well with percussive sounds and it makes the process easily repeatable if you want to record a lot of sounds in one sitting.

• Plug the audio outputs from the Rytm to the and OT and a midi cable from OUT on the OT to IN on the Rytm.
  • Set the Octatrack to send tempo and transport in the midi sync settings, and make sure the Rytm accepts them.
  • Make a pattern on the Rytm with one sound on each beat (1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 depending on tempo settings and how long the sounds ring)
  • Select an empty track on the Octatrack and set it to Flex. Set sound source to its corresponding recording buffer.
  • In the recording setup, set length to the length of your Rytm pattern (if you have 16 sounds on every 1/8 you set the length to 32 etc.)
  • Make a one time recording trig on the first step (with the recording settings open, in grid record mode, FUNC+trig)
  • Press play, when the pattern loops around, press stop (only once though as pressing it twice will re-arm the recording trig)
  • Open the audio editor and create a slice grid. You can preview the slices by moving around with the cursor in slice mode in the audio editor and pressing FUNC+YES. If you’re happy with the result, save the buffer to a file so you don’t accidentally record over it.
  • Set the flex machine to slice and the trig mode to slices start to play around.

I may have messed up some of the terminology but I hope it helps.

4 Likes

I would probably do the same.
I’ll add some precisions if you don’t mind.
I’d use ALIGN MARKERS TO ZERO-CROSSES function while creating slice grid.
To correct slices position if needed, use Function + A knob.

Hold [FUNCTION] while moving the waveform, loop, start or end markers to snap the selected marker to a zero amplitude crossing.

One shot rec trig

Recording buffers are in the first 8 slots of FLEX slots, R1-R8.

3 Likes

Just a thought, to be tested :
As slight tempo variations may occur with midi sync, I think sequencing AR and A4 with an OT midi track would be is more accurate for recording.
Maybe more complicated, not relevant if you plock AR or A4. Not sure if it can be a time saver, as I would check the slices too.

ok so your advice has shown me how to record sample from my rytm still figuring out the A4 part… but i have more needed question regarding how to not let my OT FX change the way my RYTM sounds…I dont like how after a few plays my RYTM is completely transformed into a totally different sound.

any pointers or ideas how to control the FX or whatever causes the RYTM kit sounds to be morphed .

Thanks

Shouldn’t happen. Do you use Pickups and overdub? What are your recording settings?

You can choose NONE fx.

1 Like

Probably best to start on a new project, some settings you made are effecting or warping, it won’t do that by default…

If you want to track it down set fx to none as sezare says, disable scenes, check track sequences for plocks… Both for thru and flex playback depending on where it’s warping, on sample playback track check rate/pitch/etc…
Instead of thru you can use mixer direct for monitoring with no fx, make sure to mute/remove/don’t trig thru track if using dir…

Edit: Also check lfo’s, when in doubt all depths to zero. Probably more stuff, been away from OT too long.:smile:
Testing on new project just rules all this stuff out when your learning, after you understand the OT better it’s easier to track stuff down…

1 Like