RYTM for something other than Techno

I’m a huge elektron fanboy and the RYTM is incredible but not being a techno/house guy I’m struggling to make it fit my IDM/Hip hop sensibilities. I need inspiration desperately. I’ve used the thing about 3 times in shows but it’s often used a an octatrack suppliment. Inspiring videos please or just some tips on making anything thats not techno. Running just samples in it kinda makes it seem like a posh octatrack. Maybe I just need some nice kits as I suck at drum programming (I really don’t enjoy making percussion sounds).

Help <3

1 Like

You know that Idm without drum design is a kind of an oxymoron, right?

3 Likes

Yeah obviously but I find that much easier with a sampler than with the rytm. Slicing breaks and greating glitch sounds I’ve not had success with on the rytm. Not saying it’s not possible just that I am struggling to use it for that

Look into impulse machines and ping the filter - instant Alva Noto.
Short decays on hat/cymbals will get you a lot of variations of clicks.
Bit reduction of samples is big.
Retrig with velocity modulation is even bigger.[quote=“nedavine, post:3, topic:28371, full:true”]
Yeah obviously but I find that much easier with a sampler than with the rytm. Slicing breaks and greating glitch sounds I’ve not had success with on the rytm. Not saying it’s not possible just that I am struggling to use it for that
[/quote]

For slicing use Octachainer in Grid mode to create slices and then SDSDrop maybe.

4 Likes

Thank you man. Will try those. I’ve struggled with the bit rate as it seems to always add a huge tail meaning you can only use it with short decays. Will play about some more though.

Try this topic: Different ways of using the RYTM

2 Likes

I heard STROM is pretty nice for kickstarting bizarro sounds & breaks… :sweat_smile:

tbh I got into Elektron stuff because Autechre’s Untilted and Quaristice albums are mostly made with the silver boxes, and then started to do this sysex-reversing & made the app to be able to easier to cross into weird-ass beats territory. STROM is made for abstract beats.

/shameless plug

4 Likes

Thanks for the impulse tip. Filter with s&h sounds rather great

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: STROM for iPad

One thing that I like is that Rytm can play samples chromatically without degradation in sound quality (Octatrack, which is a sampler, can’t do it). So it is possible to create sample chains with long one-shot synth sounds and use Rytm as sound module with analog filters, digital effects etc. External midi keyboard allows to easily program melodic lines and even play live with any synth’s sample you load to sample pack.

1 Like

microtiming, random LFOs, loads of heavilly p-locked probability trigs, fills, conditional trigless locks doing really mental stuff…
Sample chains with 120 slices, with LFO choosing the start point (set end point to max, and use the amp envelope to isolate 1 slice at a time)

Don’t forget that the FX track is p-lockable. This can get wonderfully weird when p-locking the distortion and compressor combined.

Maybe use another box to spit LFOs at the Scene Select MIDI CC and have all those Scenes loaded up with pitch/decay/overdrive/filter mode parameter locks.

Remember that the peaking filter mode is the most like a 1 band EQ. Quick sweeps of it with the resonance up, and parameter slides engaged are effective.

Sure you can’t just hold function and grab a knob and turn it into instant WTFBBQ!! like on the MD, but with some planning, you can get the desired effect and with more intention than MD.

4 Likes

@nedavine you say you don’t enjoy synthesize drums but I found it to be a lot easier than A4 to get interesting sounds… Machines on AR are a real pleasure especially when you bring them in darker corners… Had a lot of fun creating extremely short percussions, it’s snappy and groovy pretty fast I found. I just :heart_decoration: this machine a lot !

1 Like

I have just started using a new vsti drum synth plugin from Sample Magic called Stacker, it is very good for creating those sample layers prior to loading into the AR. It also comes with 1200 ready made presets that comprise of synthesized sounds, layered samples and synthesized sounds layered with samples. You can create the perfect layer for your kick or snare etc. It definitely works better than just loading in random samples, as you can layer up to 6 types of any combination of sounds.

Introductory price is £59.99. https://www.samplemagic.com/details/606/stacker

As Adam jay mentioned - LFOs attacking sample chains – I have only done this on an octatrack but as far as I understand you should be able to get the same result with the AR.

Load lots of really varied sound in a sample chain and use the lfo to modulate the start point so you get an extreme variation of what sound is being played back - add some of the synth elements/white noise underneath and i imagine it could get pretty glitchy.
But hey I don’t have an AR (yet) . when I finally save enough money to by one il post some stuff up here…

Just uploaded some of my IDM explorations of Rytm. All the drums/percussions were made using synthesis engines (no samples). Bass, pad and piano sounds were made on Analog Four.

Mod Edit: View & discuss video over here

1 Like

Hey, have a listen to the audio demo of this pack. It is far from techno. :slight_smile: https://www.biomedigital.com/downloads/dubstep-rytm/