Rytm for more freestyle/experimental beats (flying lotus, prefuse73, shlohmo, jon hopkins)

Kind of tired watching the majority using this monster beat machine mostly on generic techno beats…
what about this kind of experimental beatmaking !
Any videos, any tips and suggestions ?
Sometimes i really need to make my rytm to sound more fluid and less linear, i am sure the sample option can be the key here, but i am sure that power of this machine overall can give way more interesting results.

3 Likes

Look up posts by Kotare he’s da masta of the textural rytm

2 Likes

Conditional trigs and fills are your best friend if you’re after this kind of sequencing.

Half the sounds in Astral Security Goat are Rytm. It’s certainly an unconventional beat. No samples used – all analog. Makes good use of conditional trigs and performance mode.

trig condtion overkill. just learning the machine and having fun https://soundcloud.com/wayne-pennell/dwire

1 Like

I did make something sound like Jon Hopkins. here you go, take a listen:

LINK

Bassline analog four lead moog sub 37 through eventide h9. All drums Rytm

Nice references!

+1 on trig conditions.

Machine only: I would sit down and synthesize like 10 iterations of each voice and then save as sounds. Write a beat, then start using sound locks to spice.

With samples: Sample chains (preferably those with a wide variety of timbres), load in sample slot, LFO assigned to start or end sample position, random LFO waveform, HLD Mode, depth to taste, done.

*Hopkins is much more melodic than the others. Use ths OS1.30 machines to write melodies as the original machines still don’t track very well.

sorry correct link to my hopkins sound with rytm:

dropbox link

1 Like

the proper thread to drop this ableton tutorial, can rytm groove and do stuff like this ?

Going thru so much trouble to do something that you could pull off easily by just playing it unquantized? AFAIK dilla just played everything unquantized

I dont see why you couldn’t pull this off with the AR using a certain swing percentage and microtiming tbh

I’ve read the first beat was quantized/on the grid, but, yeah, unquanitzed for sure.

I find it more rewarding (and less time consuming) to play the pads as opposed to programming. But YMMV.

yeap, i believe in recording with no quantisation for a more organic result,
but it is always good to have options in terms of fine tuning,
somehow the swing function and the quantisation percentage seems to function a bit strange to my ears, having a tendency to line it in a weird rytm style (not sure about this though).

well, then there’s this thread:

I just came across this artist on Instagram that uses the Dark Trinity to the nth degree…

also on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/malfunkn

Listening to @KOTARE 's latest reminded me of this thread:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/some-idm-on-elektron-analog-rytm-analog-four/28487

I tried to make some IDM on the RYTM a couple months ago. Its Rytm only.

1 Like