Rythm mk2 and ableton

Hi
Iam very close to buying a rythm mk2. At the moment I use ableton to control external synth via midi.
I am trying to figure out the best way to integrate the rythm with ableton as overbridge is not available yet. Is there a way of synching the rythm with ableton so I could jam with the synth playing as wel.
Or is it better to record sections of the rythm I have created , and then match them together with the synth samples in ableton.

How does everyone else use it at present?

Thanks for your advice

1 Like

Use the AR2 as the master device, connect its MIDI out to a MIDI device connected to your computer, and slave Ableton Live to that. Ableton Live’s internal MIDI clock is shit, so you should slave Live to the AR.

I am a complete novice when it comes to this and don’t fully understand what you mean. Can you reccomend any tutorials or info packs that will give me a step by step of how to set it up this way ?

You need a MIDI device that will give your computer MIDI in/out ports. So something like this (there are many to choose from):

http://motu.com/products/midi/lite

Install your device on your computer, check that you get MIDI in/out ports in Ableton Live (Preferences - MIDI devices, or whatever it is - and check that the MIDI in and out ports are on).
Then, get a MIDI cable, plug it into the OUT port of your Analog Rytm, and the IN port of your MIDI device.
Then go to “Options” in Ableton Live and enable “external sync”, and double check that you have selected “sync” under MIDI devices with your connected MIDI device.
Then start your AR an check whether it’s in sync or not. If not, troubleshoot, but it should be working.

If you need an even more detailed explanation, I suggest you google it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do have a soundcard with midi.

That explication is perfect And a great help! Thanks I appreciate it