Running out of memory in project too fast :-( resolved thanks :-)

85mb seems to be a struggle for me on a particular project and i am trying to manage something that will ultimately lead to a lengthy performance.

ideas on how to manage memory would be great. how do you make the limits work?

i am not using many loops other than my synth riffs that i’ve recorded but as some are quite long maybe i am suffering, i am stuck as they are integral to the tracks so there’s no way around it, i am looking at a couple of banks with all parts filled in each bank right now but i would really like more - is mixing down some of the work to static machines the only way left? i have never used static machines but at least that way i don’t pull from RAM. it removes some of the freedom but perhaps when using long loops its the only way??

i have reduced recorder buffer to 16 secs but don’t want to reduce anymore in case i wish to sample on the fly, the problem i am having is the samples sometimes get the error message and won’t load and the only way is to keep taking time from the recorders, i’ve emptied buffers so i am only working with RAM files.

i could probably take a bit more from the buffers but is static the only way forward?

I set recorder tracks to R1-4 instead of all 8 and dynamic recorder buffer ‘on’!

The 85mb limit is ok for me, coming from akai samplers, first 8MB to 16MB, then my S1100 came with 24mb and I was blown away by that. It’s not a lot when you compare it to a laptop, but it’s dedicated and a lot better integrated in the OS of your sampler.

1 Like

YO’ DUUUUDE.
hey, hi.
so, mmm as I can tell you something that I’ve found out making my SAMPLEs WORK, regarding memory space, think of your samples as this (tho’ it’s just a way of thinking, I’m not telling you to do this): “All the samples I want to EDIT, throw them on a Flex machine, all the samples I don’t need to EDIT, throw them on a Static machine”.

So, to avoid confusion, the logic behind the Flex and Static machines are internal memory vs card, try to arrange all your 1 - 4 BAR Loops on a Flex, your “I’M GOING TO RECORD SOME SAMPLES LIVE” to Flex, and maybe some one shots, IF YOU NEED TO EDIT THEM INSIDE THE OT, use a FLEX, and have on a Static Pool for all your “STATIC” samples, haha, you know? the ones you don’t need to move at all, it’s a sample and you need to play it, you don’t need to EDIT it, the sounds inside the Static Pool should be from one shots to long ass 1 minute synth jams. That’s why Static machines read from the FlashCARD. because, it’s just reading, by reading one means PLAYING, and your Flex Machine uses the internalmemory, that’s why you don’t need too much memory space inside the ot, because it’s just for small edit and record purposes. (I MEAN IT’S NOT JUST FOR THAT, but this is what makes this a “sampling game changer”)

So, yeah. I used to play a lot with Flex machines, but now I just use Flexes to record and to edit short samples, then save it to the CARD using the card manager function and play it through the Static Machines.
With flex machines you got a built in audio editor! with a static you don’t!

well, this is my advice…if I understood you correctly I think this should help.

4 Likes

ah yes, i haven’t selected less recorder tracks or even thought about it hahhaaa, i’m always at 1-8 for recorders, ok so that will release some memory i presume?

thanks

yeah duuuuuuude :slight_smile: that’s what i thought. MUST reprogram my brain to start converting and using static.

thanks buddy

If you only sample two or say three sources simultaneously (most people do) you could set it to R1-3! You then reserve all the RAM for 3 buffers instead of 8, dynamic rec buffers do something similar!

1 Like

ok- simple solutions thanks all its appreciated, i cannot believe i’ve never thought to reduce the amount of recorders

static and less buffers ahoy !

1 Like

Rule of thumb is that 1 minute of stereo 16bit audio is +- 10mb! So by setting you up with one buffer, 16bit, you can sample over 8 minutes of stereo input! That is a lot of samplerfood :slight_smile:

Now I need to stop rambling and go sampling… caffeine rush ark ark ark

1 Like

Be careful changing memory settings on a project you’ve worked hard on! It can mute all your slots.

You can get them back by going into the audio editor for each one by one but it’s very unsettling having all your work turn silent!

2 Likes

As others have said don’t be afraid of static, especially for tracks/loops that just play and aren’t all sliced up, applying fx to them no problem. Also second the dynamic recorders with minimal reserved recorder tracks/time. With dynamic on, you know you always have access to all free ram, and then set just a few reserved tracks with a suitable time so that just in case you use all the ram, you can still sample… You might wanna go 16 bit as well, if your not already…

1 Like

Great point!

Yes I had this happen today, figured it out after ten minutes and that was what got me bouncing round searching how to create economy.

I’ve gone with the advice and made my recorders from 8 to 3 which gave me some free memory and I never would have thought that, I always use dynamic anyway so that’s all good. I’m currently in the process of bouncing some longer stuff to static so it’s happy happy days :blush:

Thanks all.

Unless you are rapidly modulating start points of samples or other manipulation, you should just use static playback machines for your samples.

2 Likes