Roland TR-8S

Played a gig with OT, TR-8 and TB-3 on saturday - I could have left everything at home if I‘d had this. Price seems pretty fair too.

For german speakers:

‚Motion recording‘ & ‚Motion playback‘ - looks like someone was paying attention in the R&D department.

1 Like

dayum! And just when I bought decksavers for my boutique TR’s too…

If the sound Q is on point, this is really tempting me unlike the og TR8

Wow…
Parameter lock per step & motion recording. Copy and past of playing patterns. Able to ‘load’ non playing pattern and edit it before switching to it :grimacing:
Some smart performance stuff in here.
Able to adjust pitch of samples via plocking also.

5 Likes

Ok, I’m in :joy:

9 Likes

Im totally in. It’s almost like Roland read my comments on the ‘Dream drum machine’ thread last week :wink:

6 Likes

Yeah this is a machine you would prep samples for. I think it would be a nice companion to the DT actually.
This does have chromatic mode via plocks though.
The drum synth engines make it a good pal for the DT

2 Likes

”flams and adjustable substeps” - is that microtiming? Polyrhythms, and I’m also guessing negative shuffle is onboard, like with the boutiques (!)

And they say you can edit a pattn that is not playing before switching to it!! This is huge for improv style performing. Some killer features within no doubt.

1 Like

Looks like a great update to the TR-8, both for studio and live! :slight_smile:

Yeah he does that in the seq video. You can edit non playing pattern and then switch to it, or link it to current pattern to extend from 16 to 32 steps for example. Very cool feature

1 Like

8 assignable indiouts (with groups!) and 2 mono inputs… I wonder if the mono inputs can be effected with the TR8S and then sent to the indiout groups?

Ahh, and the icing on the cake - everything is stored within the SD card! So touring musicians can just put TR8S into their technical raider and show up to the gig with a prepped SD card.

A very well thought out product indeed.

1 Like

If the two mono inputs could be adjusted separately I could feed the modular system and the sh01a into the tr8s at the same time! Fantastico!

Looks great, I hope they updated to the TR-08 and TR-09 ACB models because those are much better than the TR-8 IMHO.

I do think this might give Elektron some stiff competition on DT and ARmkII, even if they are not directly equivalent there is a lot of commonality, Roland have been hitting it out of the park in the past few years and I think they are once again a major player.

Prefer the SD card rather than propriety software to transfer samples, convenience and ease of use and no endless bugfix releases because an operating system updated.

Very tempted by this, maybe at the cost of DT and AR if the transfer app doesn’t get sorted.

5 Likes

If $699 is right they will sell a shit ton of these I think!

3 Likes

Yup $699… up on bhp in US. Launches 9th March

699? I think I will wait until these are available in the 2ndhand market… I was expecting 499 tbh

EDIT: On second thought, having all the x0x sounds already loaded within, and having 8 assignable indiouts with (hopefully) improved DA, I guess this is priced logically. It will sell loads.

The TR8S will be rinsed to death by everyone and their dog no doubt!

1 Like

Holymac! 699 is a steal.
That hands on interface is something that when Roland do well is unparalleled I think.

Hmm I might sell my DT for this.

HOLY COW!!! They made it even uglier, how is this possible!!

Joke aside, these are killer features, I used to have the first version of this green disgusting beast, and the workflow is on its own level. I’ve never had more fun, or been quicker jamming out beats than with the TR-8. With stereo samples and individual outs, it’s a no-brainer! Now who’s gonna start selling skin retrofits for this one? :wink:

5 Likes

Looks like they might have dropped aira link as I can see no mention of it in the manual, a bit disappointing if this is true (for me) as I use 3x MX-1s and find aira link very convenient for audio and sync over a single USB cable.

Edit - Correction, confirmed Aira link compatible, phew!