Roland Aira

Replica or no, I’m having a ton of [url=“https://soundcloud.com/mathazzar/search-pattern”]fun with my TR-8, especially paired with the TB-3.

Question for other users: anyone else seeing a total audio dropout when adjusting shuffle whilst connected to Logic Pro X via USB?

Works as expected in Ableton, but in Logic I lose all audio as soon as I move the shuffle knob in either direction from center.

Nice track. I like how the cymbals sound. Thats the TR8?

Thanks for the writeup VennDiagram. I’m interested in the concept, but the System 1 demos I’ve heard so far haven’t convinced me yet (maybe a bit too aggressive sounding, though most demos of modern gear tend to be, as it’s a fashionable sound). Will watch out closely though, when better demos start to show up.

The TR-3 and TB-3 are a load of fun! I love the faders on the TR-8.

The TB-3 is through the A4 - powerful! The A4 and TB-3 go into the OT then CUE out to the TR-8’s sidechain input. With the TR-8 coming back into OT. So sick!

Also, Scatters pretty fun with some practice. Combine that effect with the OT’s crossfader - wow!

Btw…been spotting this in a few promo videos from Miami and Detroit

Pic

i want contribute with a comparison i made last month with the Aira TR-8 (in 808 mode) and nepheton (808 clone from d16 group) . I don´t have a 808 of course but i think nepheton is prety prety close to original to the Roland TR-808 , so i did a comparison between both (Aira TR-8 and nepheton) . Briefly, TR-8 sounds very nice especially in Kick, snare and claps (amazing and prety close)… rest of the sounds are decent but not so close , not so “warm” like Nepheton, specially in hi hats. Thanks you , hope you like my comparison :

ok…but as an owner of both these machines i am very sure that d16 nepheton is not that close to an 808 than a tr-8 is…sure the tr-8 lacks some silky hihats and also the rimshot is somehow too harsh compared to my 808…but d16 is really not worth to compare…i really never understood that people are talking like “this vst sounds like the real thing”…also every 808 has its own soul…they all differ in sound caused by aged components…also its not all about the sound but also the magic in the sequencer, which in my opinion, roland pretty nailed it.

…had TR8 for 2 days and this machine rocks…today A4 come and see how these 2 go along XD

so so so many people hating on the “scatter” - which is odd because it is exactly the same thing as “delay control” on the OT when “echo freeze delay” is engaged… or even the old “buffer override” VST effect

but Ive used such effects many times in the past, and i really enjoy it as a quick, easy and random way of adding fills and transitions to simple beats - yes the “scatter” effect can sound stupid as hell, or it can sound literally like a basic drum fill - it all depends on how you use it really…

one of the more recent updates gives you the option to make it a “momentary” switch rather than “on/off”, which is vital to using it in the way described above - so that may be the problem up until now

but honestly the ridicule surrounding it is pretty damn silly to me

so im gonna make a video to demonstrate use of the “scatter” to good effect (IMO), because i havent seen too many people using it that way and I wanted to show how it can be used “tastefully” or in a way that makes it sound like part of the beat, rather than just a super basic stutter fx

i just picked up a b-stock tr8 for 299, the price was right so i jumped on it… i’'ll post some more thoughts and reviews on it when i put up that video

Well IMHO the TR8 & D16 plugins are comparable in quality, as in, neither sounding like the real thing, but close enough to get sh*t done.

Never understood the appeal of the TR8 tbh - its way too expensive for what it is. Used prices are what the retail should have been.

It doesnt sound like a 808 to me, but I dont care about that, Im not a gear snob… honestly I think thats because all the 808s now have plenty of degradation, which changes the sound output in the analog world

it doesnt even necessarily sound analog, but im ok with that because i find analog drum machines require a good deal of wrangling and processing to sit in a mix properly - unless you build your music around it in a minimal way

the appeal? thats more of a personal matter… if you arent interested, then just move along… pretty simple - for example - in my world, you should understand that a dedicated device with dedicated hardware controls and dedicated audio output will always trump a VST running in a computer

but yeh $300 was my upper limit for it, and i had some spendable money lying around

in my workflow, it fits so so perfectly because i almost always layer sampled beats with 808/909 sounds, and then when im not using sampled beats i almost always turn to 808/909 sounds anyways, also im extremely fluid with x0x style programming, and i wanted a super quick device to do it with - this nails it

honestly its a killer box in terms of workflow, it was even kinda surprising how awesome it just fits in, and “just works”

A post was merged into an existing topic: New Roland AIRA/Boutique instruments 9.09

A post was merged into an existing topic: New Roland AIRA/Boutique instruments 9.09

Have you ever used your TR-8 as a drone machine?
It’s a lot of fun! Set BPM to 300, switch all steps to flams, use reverb and delay for ultimate spaciness.

3 Likes

this is cool.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to find some definitive info about this and failed so far. Not found anything on the Roland site, I’m submitted a support enquiry but no response yet.

Can anyone who has experience of the System-1 and/or System-1m tell me whether it is possible to install plug-outs that you have bought & own into more than one System-1/1m?

I am considering trading up from a System-1 to a 1m and I want to know if I would still be able use all of my existing plug-outs in the new machine or if they’re tied to my current System-1.

I can’t remember (maybe I never knew) if the registration number on the plug-out card that comes with the machine is just to activate the owner discount on the software, or if it registers / enables it to be plugged out to that machine.

1 Like

Ok, never mind. Got a reply from Roland support. For anyone interested, the Plug-Out licenses are not transferable to a different owner, (i.e., you can’t sell them with the synth) but you can install them into multiple System1/1ms that you own.

1 Like

Oh you Roland ! Why do you want us to choose between putting the System-1m in the rack and using its midi input ? mmm ? Sometimes we want to use this nice 4 notes polyphony.

Allright, SuperKludgeMaster fixed that:

3 Likes

Made a sound pack for the little green monster which I hope some of you will enjoy