Restarting songs halfway on synced devices

I have my A4 and RYTM synched. A4 is slave. Performing in song mode in both devices. When I press stop twice in RYTM the two songs (A4 and RYTM) restart from the beginning (and that’s ok). What I would like to know if there is a way for restarting songs halfway.
I mean: if for example I position the cursor on one pattern of a particular raw of the RYTM song and I press play the RYTM starts in that position while the A4 restarts from the first pattern of its song

Thank u guys

Is the RYTM driving pattern changes on the A4 using program change#?

I’ve set the program change send on in the RYTM and the program change receive on in the A4. When I put the cursor on a particular pattern (for example 2nd pattern on 23th raw) in RYTM the cursor position on A4 changes as well but when I press play the RYTM starts playing that pattern while the A4 starts from raw 00. The command play in RYTM is ridden by A4 as a “play from the beginning”

I know of two ways to start a song at a specific position with an AR/A4:

With a DAW

If you have both connected to a DAW using Overbridge and set Sync to Song Position in each plugin, you can move the cursor in your DAW, hit play, and it’ll start playing the song at that position.

Directly on the Analog Four / Analog Rytm

Setup your AR/A4 MIDI configuration as you described (Clock Send & Transport Send on one, Clock Receive & Transport Receive on the other) with MIDI cables connected accordingly.

Then do the following:

1. Both Devices: Load the Project.
  2. Both Devices: Load the Song if needed.
  3. Both Devices: If the “Edit Song” button is not bright RED then press it. Your “Edit Song” button should be bright RED.
  4. Both Devices: FUNC + Edit Song. The “Edit Song” button is now BLUE.
  5. Master Device: Use the arrow key to move the cursor around and highlight the position you want to start the song at.
  6. Master Device: Tap YES. This highlights the pattern to start at in WHITE. It should highlight on the other device too.
  7. Both Devices: Tap the “Edit Song” button once. It should change from BLUE to CYAN. This appears to be a “queue mode”.
  8. Master Device: Press Play. The song will start playing on both at the highlighted position but will not progress so long as “Edit Song” is cyan colored.
  9. Both Devices: Tap the “Edit Song” button once quickly. It should change from CYAN to BLUE. This exits the cyan “queue mode”.
  10. The song will play out.

Caveats

If you don’t start the cursor at the beginning of a chain then Trig Conditions such as 4:4 might be skipped. So if you had a chain that looks like B3 B3 B3 B3 and placed the cursor on the second B3, it will not play a Trig in the fourth B3 if its Trig Condition is 4:4. To make things more confusing if you had a 3:4 Trig Condition then it would play on the fourth B3 and not the third! However if you started at the first B3 then it’s not a problem. This likely has something to do with how the A4/AR track pattern/chain repetitions internally for Trig Conditions.

Also keep in mind that anything that was skipped over, like an LFO being reset in a previous chain you skipped, might not be operating right when starting a song mid-song.

Most of this is not a big deal but something to keep in mind if you’re recording. It’s best to record the entire song from the start if you want things perfect.

1 Like