Resample/sample crossfader movement

If you’re lucky enough to have 2 Octatracks you can, using midi cc.

But you can’t resample the same sample if you have any parameter affecting rate on that sampler channel. Like lfo or trigg lock. Unless if you sacrifice a channel.

hehe i hope this sentence makes sense… :slight_smile:

Umm, I don’t understand what that means (bit over my head). But I was looking at the manual and from what I understand you can sample anything that would come out of the main outputs.

you can sample…inputs, outputs (main/cue), internal sounds (individual tracks)

If you’re lucky enough to have 2 Octatracks you can, using midi cc.[/quote]
you’re true, infact you can actually record fader CC by looping back the Mdi out into Midi in…only if you plan to use the OT alone…or just alone sometime…

I meant that if you use a track, that is a sampler track and if you assign any rate changes to that track, once you arm to resample it, it will stop playing back that sample and clear the recorder buffer on that track.

Let us say track 4 is a sampler track sampling master track 8.
It has a trigger set to play back the sampled sample.
So if you apply LFO modulating the rate to that track after you sampled you get the scratch effect. Once you want to resample the outcome of that change on the same track, OT won’t let you unless you resample it on another track because it is being modulated by LFO while sampling.

It somehow doesn’t allow you to resample on the same track with rate modulated or in any way changed.

I hope this makes more sense hehe :smiley: even i had to read this several times.

I usually have a remix track in place which records everything I do on the OT, incl. crossfader movements (btw, normal trigs, no one-shot). As long as no automations/scenes etc. are assigned to pitch or time-stretch parameters of the remix track (@Lemajik), everything works fine. you always have a buffer to get back to whatever you’ve been doing before, incl. wild crossfader movements, scene switches, whatever.

The remix track also receives a nice tape dely feedback FX, because it is replaced by a resampled version each and every time the pattern loops. With some high-pass filtering and delay or reverb in the initial signal, that’s great for builds. Just in case I need a break from all the resampling or when it “whoooshes” too quickly, I jump to the first pattern in the bank, where no recording takes place (no recording trig, that’s my workaround to get the one-shot trigs “reversed” because I want to have it recording per default). Of course, you can always switch to a different scene and have the original stuff playing without recorded crossfader movements etc.

One more thing: when my remix track is in focus, I usually do a lot, release some claps/chords/crashes/whatever, which are being modulated by further and further resampling, mix it with some crossfader “scratching” which the remix track also records, and in the end, just one simple crossfader movement is sufficient to return to a simple, clean, combo of kick and bass. Nice.

@Marcofrodo’s initial question: of course you can, and much more.

schhhh…

please people, don´t scare OP.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@MK7, I would love to hear what the hell you´re talking about. Got any example or soundclips?

/Mike

Yes please!!!

Hi Marco,

If you want to save a few bucks, please consider purchasing my OT if you decide to get one.

I’m open to offers.

there you go:

The same technique being applied over and over again. In my opinion, the best one was right before the middle of the recording. The demo is more about resampling in general, but it also includes recording of crossfader movements.

At the high-pass filtered sections, the played back audio is being resampled over and over again, which can create big “whooshes” of feedback delay kind of stuff, and I also moved the crossfader a lot before going back to the standard groove, which creates a lot of modulations and movement. Note: towards the end of the recording, feedback occurs a lot faster than before, because resampling is being triggered there every 4th instead of every bar.

It would much more transparent with just a video, but I was too lazy to record one :slight_smile: the audio should still be a lot more descriptive about what I mean than descriptions in words.

Setup:

• Octatrack: kick, some drums, 3 pickup machines, 1 resampling machine assigned to master out with several crossfader scenes (medium high-pass filter, medium high-pass filter plus LFO’s, strong high-pass filter, …)
  • Analog4: poly mode, providing bass sound on auto channel and DRUMA drums on perf channel
  • Minitaur: assigned to voice 4 of the Analog 4, so whenever voice 4 is triggered it gets some heavy bass --> bass sound + more beef for chords
  • 49 keys MIDI keyboard: most stuff (except crossfader/scenes/pattern selections) was done from there. details: first octave to control OT sampling, one octave with DRUMA drums on the Analog4 in multi map mode, 2 octaves assigned to the bass sound on the Analog4/Minitaur.
  • Akai MPX8: used in build-ups for drum sounds
  • RNLA comp for some heavy sidechaining being applied before audio from Analog4/Minitaur enters the OT. OT cue out used as trigger.
    –> as a note, I perceive this setup as nearly perfect. the only thing which comes short is traditional drum programming, but then there’s still my MD. however, I always use max. 2 elektrons at once.

Btw: Special thanks to Daren Anger! Those DRUMA drums (some of the percussions & one hihat in this recording) sound so lovely!

good stuff MK7

video would be cool…I need to get set up for video recording myself

there you go:

The same technique being applied over and over again. In my opinion, the best one was right before the middle of the recording. The demo is more about resampling in general, but it also includes recording of crossfader movements.

At the high-pass filtered sections, the played back audio is being resampled over and over again, which can create big “whooshes” of feedback delay kind of stuff, and I also moved the crossfader a lot before going back to the standard groove, which creates a lot of modulations and movement. Note: towards the end of the recording, feedback occurs a lot faster than before, because resampling is being triggered there every 4th instead of every bar.

It would much more transparent with just a video, but I was too lazy to record one :slight_smile: the audio should still be a lot more descriptive about what I mean than descriptions in words.

Setup:

• Octatrack: kick, some drums, 3 pickup machines, 1 resampling machine assigned to master out with several crossfader scenes (medium high-pass filter, medium high-pass filter plus LFO’s, strong high-pass filter, …)
  • Analog4: poly mode, providing bass sound on auto channel and DRUMA drums on perf channel
  • Minitaur: assigned to voice 4 of the Analog 4, so whenever voice 4 is triggered it gets some heavy bass --> bass sound + more beef for chords
  • 49 keys MIDI keyboard: most stuff (except crossfader/scenes/pattern selections) was done from there. details: first octave to control OT sampling, one octave with DRUMA drums on the Analog4 in multi map mode, 2 octaves assigned to the bass sound on the Analog4/Minitaur.
  • Akai MPX8: used in build-ups for drum sounds
  • RNLA comp for some heavy sidechaining being applied before audio from Analog4/Minitaur enters the OT. OT cue out used as trigger.
    –> as a note, I perceive this setup as nearly perfect. the only thing which comes short is traditional drum programming, but then there’s still my MD. however, I always use max. 2 elektrons at once.

Btw: Special thanks to Daren Anger! Those DRUMA drums (some of the percussions & one hihat in this recording) sound so lovely!

[/quote]
damN…that song is dopE!..that bass line is super sick! …really like that recording technique :slight_smile:

Thx :slight_smile: the creation of that recording was also super fun! swing around, play some bass on the keys, press a button here, press a button there, move the crossfader back and forth and back back forth forth to the rhythm, and keep moving around… I mean that’s the whole workflow.

no groovebox or drum machine can replicate the groove of human fingers, when you’re in the right mood.

sounds like you need an analog rytm to let your fingers do the drumming :wink:

Nice! Has a organic kind of feel to it.

@MK7

N I C E !!! thx for sharing!

Yup, I agree with the others. That was a really nice one MK7!
Reminded me a bit of Goldfrapp: Black Cherry album, which I think got some nice tunes with deep bass (train and strict machine comes to mind).

Gotta try setup something similar… seems fun to play with.

Resamplig is awsome I have started to create selfgenerating chains of resampling with some Flex machines with triggered record and some puckup machines as well… gets really crazy it is a lot like a patch on a modular synth…

I posted a demo before, but here comes an application example of that crossfader resampling technique in a full featured live set.

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/marc-und-moritz-blasebalg-ot-bass-guitar-techno/4254

https://soundcloud.com/marc-und-moritz/blasebalg

EDIT: two example where you can clearly hear how the crossfader movements are being recorded are at 5:28 (short movement to get the kick back which was resampled) and 8:30 (this stutter-like glitch effect). The 909 hats were played live on top but they also got into the resampling machinery. I like how a track recorder with normal trigs “soaks” in whatever audio comes along! Little hungry audio monster!