Requests for a hypothetical octatrack successor

With preamp and analogue compressor of course !

4 Likes

No need for more functions, just a better package. Most importantly: simple and straightforward user interface - learn from Digitakt.

Individual outs.
Update the FX section.
Preserve the form factor, no living-room friendly nonsense of analog mkii, please.
Thats about it.

4 Likes

FWIW I rarely find myself diving in any menus when I’m jamming on the OT…
Even when setting up a project it’s not that bad, but you can set one up right and perform for quite some time without entering menus if you got a good project. Even my simple Little Phatty goes several menu layers deeper than the OT…

Yeah, I’m talking like change the pitch of the playing sample your overdubbing onto as your overdubbing… Then when that’s done lower the rate to 1/2, and overdub again on top of that… Then pitch shift that a fith and overdub again… For starters… :smile:

2 Likes

A big Digitakt
in stereo
with timestretching
and OT effects and track routing options
would keep me happy I reckon.

1 Like

Hmm, not sure I want a replacement for the Octatrack, I’d rather see something completely new perhaps more focussed on linear multitrack recording, granular, transform multiplication, spectral shifting, pitch removal like variphrase, and other interesting and as yet uncovered techniques by existing machines. No Overbridge for me (quelle surprise!)

Octatrack, a stone cold classic, it is somewhat flawed and imperfect in some ways, but what it does it does so well, the genius of Elektron’s line up IMHO. So please no new OT.

7 Likes

I never understood why the OT MK2 got its own design instead of getting it in line with the other MK2 devices. It alienates the OT. It doesn’t feel like a trinity anymore, but more like a master and his two slaves relationship (and I’m against machine slavery).

Quite a bad, inconsistent design job …

personally i enjoy the Octatrack’s form factor, and think it is appropriate it was kept essentially the same as the mkI due to the muscle memory of all the previous buttons.

this may seem controversial but i have no need for Overbridge - whatever potential benefits the usb technology might afford, i didn’t invest with Elektron gear for anything like that workflow.

5 Likes

It’s definitely nice to at least have one box not needing to be in any way reliable on a computer for performance, there’s plenty of boxes going that way…

I got my OT as a replacement for using Apple Mainstage…
I know OB could still be an option to use or not, but I think there’s a place for a box purposely designed so that you do not need to use a computer for any of it, and in fact that’s part of why it is made. (except backup and sample transfer😉)

2 Likes

I actually think the OTmkII looks much nicer than the Analog MkIIs, I don’t like that they are larger either.

Having said this I prefer the round buttons of the mkI and the LCD screen will probably outlast the OLED, but I like the colour scheme, extra buttons and faster encoders of the mkII.

2 Likes

i would like a vertical tiger skin blue/purple pattern for the faceplate of the Rytm if i hypothetically invested in one.

it’s fascinating how Elektron released a Blue Monomachine for their tenth anniversary, and yet i never seen one for sale. Makes sense actually, they would be collectors items most likely.

:smiley:

I remember at awave they had a MD and MM on the display stand…

You haven’t missed much. Basically the same but with different coloured bases and some other tweak.

2 Likes

I’ve got a few ideas…

1 Like

oh you tease! some other tweak?
maybe that is the special sauce i’ve been searching high and low for so many years.

actually no, just being melodramatic; the ‘regular’ Machinedrum you kindly noticed and notified me of is honestly the best second-hand musical gear experience i ever purchased. Love it. @pselodux did me proud and truly i am very grateful.

but if there really is some other tweak then obviously i must continue the search for a Red Machinedrum. Double the pleasure.

2 Likes

It’'s not. 50 each of MD/MM; Coloured bases (Red/Blue). Coloured rack ears. (Red/Blue) I think slightly different text under the screen? And a bag of swag.

1 Like

Ah… I played Synth Cupid again :heart: Rusty waves at @pselodux

1 Like

You think 32 inputs is enough ? :smile:

2 Likes

Separate outs for all tracks, separate master track (…), 4 fx per channel (two for dynamics and eq, two for rev and del), bigger screen (just a tini tiny bit bigger), decksaver needs to be INCLUDED if the instrument costs more then 1000 euro (duh), overbridge (…), replaceable battery, mssd support, master high/lowpass filter knob, assignable to any channel (will ease up live by 99x) and possibly some more additions to scenes.

32 stereo pairs

1 Like

The more I think about it the less I think Elektron is actually interested in a OT successor… it seems like they are more focused on things they enjoy using most and with the OT being used as a performance mixer or looper so I wonder if they would be more likely to break what would be the OT2 into many more focused boxes. Digitakt is already a step in that direction I think, if they release a stand alone looper/performance mixer type box they would be getting a large amount of what people want across 2 boxes.