Requests for a hypothetical octatrack successor

Assignable track names/colors. Analog Rytm like -mute behavior for synchronized (un)muting. Faders would be great, but would probably make the machine quite unwieldy.

1. record to disk (aka unlimited recording time)
  2. 48kHz
  3. sd card slot (no real need for an internal ssd or anything like this)
  4. class compliant USB interface for Storage/MIDI/Audio
  5. edit not-active pattern
  6. update sequencer with features from the newer machines
  7. (at least) 10 parameter encoders
  8. larger screen with improved GUI
4 Likes

Yes on this one. In fact if they were able to pull this off with the MK2 I’d wager it would pull a lot more people back in. Cards should be fast enough these days. Not sure about the bandwidth of the machine.

That and double the RAM. I’m still hoping that the MK2 has an extra surprise RAM bank in there that hasn’t been tapped yet.

2 Likes

Draft Beer, 8 of course.
https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/7/4/741342bc34b28aa47ff38fc5f4393d1601273b06.jpg

10 Likes

For people who missed them before :

A spherical version with Elvis inside.

With strings

elektron-octatrack-1013793

And bike mount

11 Likes

I saw a mod for OT with SPDIF Digital out :
1200$

:heavy_minus_sign:Pan-dimensional warp drive triangulator with multi-sensory brainwave scanning for enhanced navigation when setting trajectory points outside of the known universe, ability to lock those parameters…

:heavy_minus_sign:Updated Pickup Machines

10 Likes

Track mutes that behave like the arranger mutes. Y’know, musically…

3 Likes

You mean in Arranger track mutes behave like if there’s no trigs? Unlike Pattern mode who cuts all audio from muted track?

1 Like

Rastatrack mode where your dubs don’t get aborted…

5 Likes

Dream machine :aw:

2 Likes

Exactly. They mute any trigs coming after but the current trig plays out, and importantly fx tails too

2 Likes

Yes, the behavior is clunky. I also use scenes/reverb/neighbors to accomplish quick muting/mixing of a sort.

1 Like

I’m so almost on board with that…
But…

There’s trouble using trig mutes with long or looping samples…
Since the trig mutes mute the next trig but play out the last one, a long or looping sample with long amp settings won’t mute… Vice versa unmuting a long track length trigged sample won’t play until the track gets back around…

Maybe there’s a possible modified balanced solution or perhaps could be a personalize option… :thinking:
Perhaps mutes that just drop amp vol to 0 just like xvol :thinking: So the trigs are still trigging underneath?

4 Likes

More intuitive “live looping” functionality (ditch the pickup machines in favor of a EDP-like layout)

Per-track EQ and Compressor not taking up FX slots

Option to have Reverb and/or delay as sends without eating up a track

Emulation of oldschool DACs for a more gritty sound if desired

Double the number of sample tracks

Analog RYTM-style pads for velocity-sensitive input of individual hits and slices

More fleshed-out Arranger mode (fades, pre-FX mutes, tempo changes, global mix automation, song-length audio tracks)

3 Likes

Good news ! As I’m beginning to synce OT>A4>MD with patterns I need to use the Arranger, write REMinders, Tempo. I was planning to erase some trigs to mute tracks in different patterns, but you pointed out something really interesting with Arranger. :thup:

1 Like

No vertical mutes.

My next OT from the future:

• 16 audio tracks
  • more effects per channel
  • updated FX with more settings
  • dead simple one button looper mode
  • the same size as the current OT
  • keep USB for files transfer
  • no Overbridge
  • and a lot of small fixes and improvements
1 Like

Fully modular signal routing in the vein of the old Kurzweil K2600.

I guess I’ll be serious for a moment and state that I would love to be able to change rate/pitch/tempo, etc… while your recording or after and still be able to overdub… Basically unlocking the flex to its utmost flexibility, as long as the laws of physics apply. Wouldn’t mind if it dropped out some trigs that were breaking the time barrier involving pitch shift/faster rate, and all that, but if they could make it bend the laws of physics that would be even better… :smiley_cat:

1 Like