Recording Digitone Issues

Hi all,

I made a track I’m pretty happy with finally. When I play it all in live, through Ableton it sounds great.

I’m using Digitone, Digitakt and some eurorack, but it’s Digitone I’m having an issue recording well.

I’m using the Master Overdrive on Digitone which has the effect of slightly ducking a sustained synth note with the kick drum. But when I record it in it sounds awful, like something is clipping / jittering somewhere.

But my audio interface inputs arent clipping, none of the meters in Ableton are anywhere near clipping, and all I’m doing is recording the Master out from Ableton onto an audio track. I really don’t get it.

I have a top spec iMac only a few moths old, the CPU doesn’t go over 5% during recording, I have no fx in Ableton at all, just a limiter on the master which is doing nothing at all as the levels don’t reach it anyway.

I’ve tried playing with the buffer size and it makes no difference.

If anyone has any advice I’d really appreciate it. I’m totally lost as to why this is happening.

EDIT: I just changed bit depth from 24 to 16 and turned off all warping options in the preferences but it made no difference.

It sounds like you are using line out on the Digitone to record. Be aware that the Overbridge driver with digital output for MacOS is confirmed to exist and people are testing it already on a limited basis (or so I hear on the forums) Therefore, the easy solution would be to procrastinate a bit on your music and hope the new driver is publicly available when you’re done procrastinating (with the caveat that there have already been lots of delays on this functionality)

Ok I solved it. Was clocking Ableton from Digitakt on recording so the recording had clock jitter. Facepalm.

Can you explain this in English to help others - what does “clocking” mean and how did that impact your signal flow?

I only speak English :wink: sending clock to Ableton from Digitakt. Don’t, when you’re recording.

1 Like