Recording audio into octatrack

• newbie question -
    Hi there,
    Ive got the Octatrack, as well a microphone - audio technica AT2020 and a scarlett 2i2 audio interface.

I would like to record audio from the mic to the octatrack .

do I need to connect the microphone to one of the audio inputs in the audio interface, and then connecting the line outputs at the back of the audio interface to the input AB in the octatrack ?
is it the right way to do so?

what type of cable do I need to use ?

Many thanks,
Omer

I think the AT2020 will require phantom power and the 2i2 has that. It seems you will have to use the scarlette as a mic pre and then a 1/4 inch cable out of the the scarlett into any one of the OT inputs and assign it in OT’s mixer to record from. Since it’s mono just choose one channel A B C D.

The only issue I see with this is that the output of the 2i2 will need to be tweaked to make sure you are not driving to hot into the OT input, or not enough signal depending on how you set the master output of the 2i2 in your DAW. If the 2i2 has a headphone output, it is also possible to use that to an input of the OT and once again adjust the headphone volume to not peak or be too low for the OT to handle.

1 Like

Get a preamp for your microphone to run into the input of the Octatrack. You could try using the comp and vol parameter in a pinch but I don’t think you’ll get a good enough level that way.

1 Like

Sorry for necroing this thread, but just wanted to ask is this normal and can it be used this way without issues and sound degradation?

Anyone?

This are specifications of my audio interface - Clarett 4Pre

Totally fine.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Just make sure to use a not excessive long cable and do not wrap it around a PSU :grin: