Real-time record into chains

Real Time record into Chains (this works perfectly on AK/A4 --has this been tested on Digitone?)
thanks David

If you use the pattern chain function, then you can play sequences of patterns. You can also real-time record into these sequences, which is awesome.

The only slight headache I have found is that any pattern you manually set to 64 steps will default back to 16 steps after you return to a previous pattern, unless you record some sequencer data into it. Luckily, this can be totally inconsequential data (for example, a single trig put into the FX track with no parameter locks at all).

To explain how this works: If you set up A1 and A2 as both 64 steps and chain them, but don’t put any sequencer data in A2, then it will go back to 16 steps as soon as the chain starts with A1. I hope Elektron fixes this behaviour as it’s a bit annoying. I may raise a support ticket about it.

As soon as you have some data in a pattern, though, the 64 steps will remain even after jumping to another pattern, and you can chain your patterns together in a big sequence (for example, A1, A2, A3, B5, C6 etc.) Make sure you understand the link between sounds, patterns and kits in order not to lose any of your sounds when you make changes.

Never tried it - worth looking at this thread though. Patterns on the DN contain the sound info. There are no kits. So they reset when a pattern is chained.

Also if it’s just for pad sequencing, you can always change the scale of the DN and get much longer patterns (with lower resolution)

No its for recording Incoming Midi from a very good software sequencer i use -----works perfectly on AK so excited to see if same behaviour on Digitone.
One strange thing is the sequencer always feels better on the AK than on the laptop ----maybe the clock on AK is special and thats the magic :slight_smile:

Can someone please kindly test Real Time record into Chains on the Digitone?

1 Like

anyone?

1 Like

Was interested in this, too. Just tried it. Chaining patterns and quantized oder unquantized recording works fine. Note lengths which are playing into the next pattern work, too.

Live tweaking is very limited as all parameters are stored in one pattern. So changing e.g. the filter frequency will make it only valid to the current pattern and it will switch back to the setting of the next pattern as soon as it starts.

Editing p-locks is only working correctly if the change is done while the containing pattern is playing - so this is not really possible to use and could be rated as a bug or at least a missing feature in the implementation.

For me this means that in a live performance it is only of use if I don’t change anything - which means it is not much of a use for me because I want to tweak parameters.

3 Likes

thanks for testing --ordered a Digitone

2 Likes