Quick Q on OT and MIDI devices

Hi everyone,

I setup two external synthesizers, a Korg Volca Beats and an Elektron Analog 4 MK2 to my Elektron Octatrack MK2 with the purpose to have the Octatrack act as master control device.

The configuration:

Elektron Analog 4 MK2 uses MIDI channels 1-4
Korg Volca uses MIDI Channel 16

Setup Process:

1. I setup THRU machines on T1-T4 for the Elektron Analog 4 MK2.
  2. I setup THRU machine on T5 for the Korg Volca to use for playback and sequencing.
  3. In the Octatrack, I configured MIDI channels to use these mappings for the two external devices.
  4. I set audio for T1-T4 to use incoming C+D which is what the Analog 4 is connected to.
  5. I set audio for T5 to incoming A for the Korg Volca

The issue I have is that I cannot playback the Elektron only on T1-T4. The Korg also plays at same time. I also have vice versa issue in that on T5, when I play the sequencer, the Analog 4 plays at same time as the Korg! I setup the send/receive clock for the OT.

How can I fix this issue so that on T1-T4, I can create MIDI and audio trigs and sequence only the Analog 4 playback without manually stopping the Korg? Also, how can I setup T5 for just the Korg so that I can create sequence on the Octatrack to playback the pattern I want for the Korg without the Analog 4 playback?

Below is a video of my setup thus far:

Audio tracks don’t send midi notes with the sequencer.
Midi tracks do. Channels are set in Midi Note Setup Page.

You need only 2 Thru machines to hear the Volca and the A4 separately.
1 with A and 1 with CD (C+D makes a mono signal from a stereo one by summing).

If Volca and A4 are synced, they will play at the same time.

3 Likes

I think you are getting audio and midi tracks mixed up. thru tracks only let the audio of connected devices come thru ab or cd which is ideal for effects etc.what you want is midi tracks to control your volca

4 Likes

Correct, and I want to be able to create sequence patterns for playback of the Volca and A4. I tried different MIDI tracks and audio tracks and no luck. I am able to play the Volca just from one track and the A4 from the 4 audio tracks which is good progress. BUT I cannot create new patterns on the OT.

I’m willing to bet you are still hearing the A4 and the Volca even though you’ve muted the through tracks because your direct inputs are probably still turned up. Other than that if you want to send midi information from your OT you need to go to a midi track and set that channel to the same channels you have set up for a4 and volca. In your video you went to OT midi setup and started messing with those channels but those are input channels not output channels. You have to go to the midi track and set the right Channel sending out.

And if you don’t want volca and a4 to play their sequencers when you hit play on ot you need to turn off receive transport on a4 and volca or turn off send transport on ot. That means play and stop will sync on all devices receiving transport

1 Like

Have you tried giving it ludes?

2 Likes

No but I did give it some espresso and a lube job :slight_smile:

Not sure if this will help but you must look at the OT as having 8 audio tracks and 8 MIDI tracks that are entirely separate from each other despite for example T1 being the “home” of both Audio Track 1 and MIDI track 1. Engaging the “MIDI “ button toggles between these two independent aspects. On the A4 you only have a single stereo out (or two monos if you hard pan left and right with two tracks on each), therefore you only need 1 audio track with a stereo “Thru” machine ir two audio tracks each with a mono “Thru” machine. The Korg needs only one mono (or one mono to stereo) “Thru” machine. From there, you can assign any MIDI track (1-8) to control any track (1-4) on the A4 and then another MIDI track to control the Volca. You can also use tge remaining three MIDI tracks to control A4’s Performance Macros (really good for writing songs) and even the Effects track.

1 Like

Project > Midi > Channels menu is concerning Auto channel and Audio Tracks midi channels, to send AND receive midi data.

With default settings, in Audio Tracks mode you can send midi CC turning knobs, pressing buttons, moving crossfader, midi notes pressing trigs in Track mode, Chromatic mode, but unfortunately not with the sequencer.

Makes sense. Can you also control the CV from the OT MIDI track? So if I have a Make Noise semi modular connected to the Analog 4 via CV can that also be sequenced and managed from the OT?

No CV from OT. A4 could handle CV and OT can send MIDI clock to A4 so everything will be synced.

1 Like

You can control A4 CV parameters with midi, and I guess if you send midi notes to CV Track or another Track used by CV you can fully control it with OT.

3 Likes

Thanks I am going through my setups again and reviewing the manual. So far been making progress. I am finally starting to enjoy and gel with the Elektron workflow. A slow process but rewarding in the long run. I know a lot of guys that give up too easily and end up selling their Elektrons and go back to Ableton and a laptop. I did have some fun jamming on my Microkorg and Elektrons the other day. They pair up quite well. Here is my jam that I created:

Your o coast will respond to midi notes sent from OT if you set it up that way

1 Like

Thanks I will do some experimenting and see what works best for me. Lots of fun learning all three boxes so far. The 0-coast has the strangest sounds and amazing for a small one oscillator semi modular. I am not ready to drop 5k plus in a full modular/Eurorack setup right now. My Elektrons, Microkorg, Volca Beats and 0-coast can do everything at need. The rest is just G.A.S. that needs to be put at bay.

O coast has a midi to CV converter so (in a somewhat crude and not so precise way) you can send midi sequence to o coast and patch out and back into itself to control your knobs like CV would

1 Like