Question regarding Machinedrum + A4

I own a machinedrum and i use it in my band 100% in song mode, with different patterns or mostly one single pattern that has muted and un-muted parts, and sometimes switch patterns. works great for now.
my question is, if i could add an analog four, how do they sync together? i’m not talking about midi clock, but mostly about the relationships between the patterns. do they work like a machinedrum and monomachine where every pattern plays their ‘equivalent’ pattern on the analog4? is easy to send midi to the a4 to change a pattern or the mute or unmute a channel? anyone works in this way?
Thanks!

I honestly can’t answer your question, but I can piggyback my own question regarding the two instruments together since someone more knowledgeable will come along shortly…
I use the two together and every so often I get weird behavior where control machines on the machinedrum will alter settings on the A4. I have all sends in the global menu shut off except for clock so I have no idea why this is happening. If anyone out there knows why this may be happening, I would love to hear from you.

Somewhat related to the original question, they do play together very nicely. I’ve not attempted yet to do what you’re talking about. I usually just have individual parts worked out on the separate machines and jam them together. If you’re operating more than just those two and one or two other things, I could see how that setup wouldn’t work. I have my hands full with those two and one other keyboard usually.

thanks for the reply. the thing is that i’m mostly a guitar player so i’m busy with my hands on the guitar while the machinedrum does their ‘thing’. so i would need some kind of automation.

found the reply in another topic, so i’m sharing it here:

I’m going to attempt to change patterns via midi from my MDUW to A4. I just want the pattern change information from my MDUW to link to the A4 - so pattern A1 to A2 on the MDUW will make the A4 follow suit. According to the text that came with the 1.06 upgrade this should be possible.

“Program change can now be sent or received changing or enqueueing the corresponding pattern. Enabling is done is the GLOBAL - MIDI CONFIG - MIDI SYNC menu. Configuration of the MIDI channels is done in the GLOBAL - MIDI CONFIG - MIDI CHANNEL menu”.

==

It worked. Changing patterns on the MDUW will change patterns on the A4 - 1:1 match. This works very well for my workflow as I generally like short 16 step drum patterns with lots of fill patterns and 64 step synth patterns.
I set both machines to receive and send program change information, and set both machines to utilze channel 10 for this function. They linked up beautifully.
Aside… since my machinedrum patterns are only 16 steps and my A4 patterns 64 steps, I was concerned that it would change the A4 pattern prior to it’s completion. This is not the case, it’ll wait until after the 64 step to change… no timing issues here

1 Like

You can also use the MID machines on the MD and the Multi Map PAT.PLAY feature of the AF so that any MIDI note message sent from the MD can trigger a chosen pattern on the AF.

With this feature, you don’t have to line up all the patterns in equivalent slots (B07 on MD with B07 on AF, for example).

1 Like

Good info, thanks.

1 Like

one of the best posts on this site… I totally forgot about this!

1 Like

So I messed around with the two last night trying to recreate the issue I was having. I have a MDUWMKI and an A4. Both are updated to current OS, unless the A4 got another update with the newest OB update (I haven’t checked, still using the one that came out a week or two ago…and this behavior existed prior to that update). It only happened last night when I used a kit that I had the global filter mapped to a drum slot. I can use the global filter from the master section and it doesn’t affect the A4, but with it mapped to a drum slot, it alters the effect sends and/or arp parameters on the A4 depending on what voice I have selected. I made sure this was what was happening by playing through a mixer and killing the audio on the MD after I heard it happen. The A4 doesn’t seem to show the changes onscreen, though (usually the HUD will reflect whatever change happens via Plock or midi message). In the MD’s global menu, all sends are turned off except for clock. Maybe there is a receive setting on the A4 I need to check to ignore the messages sent from MD (even though they aren’t supposed to be sent anyway)?

The MD will send out MIDI data unless the Base Channel is set to ‘–’. See page 59 of the MD manual.

The Analog Four will receive MIDI CC messages unless its RECEIVE CC/NRPN setting in the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG menu is deactivated. See pages 47-48 of the AF manual.

Thanks Peter.
It was the CC setting on the A4. I appreciate the help.

1 Like