Question re: time stretch settings on OT

I just want all my samples to trigger with no time stretching or anything whether I change the tempo or not… I have time stretch set to “off” in the audio editor on every track. I’ve only just realised there is a time setting in the playback setup menu too, I can’t really find anywhere in the manual that explains what this actually does, or what the difference is between the different time stretch settings in these two menus?

Just set it to „auto“ and it will behave like whatever you have set in the audio editor.

1 Like

I’ll add Playback Setup setting have priority over Attributes.

3 Likes

So even if the sample is set to timestrerch off in the sample attributes page, you can still timestretch by turning it on in the playback settings? I didnt know this…I just turn it all off if I dont want timestretch.

Yep. I make my settings in Playback Setup only.
I’m not 100% sure but in certain circumstances Auto didn’t work for me, maybe with recordings…

1 Like

I also realized that timestrech don’t work with samples shorter than 6143 samples (139ms).
This apply to trimmed samples, slices too IIRC.

3 Likes

Interesting! I always seem to make things harder than they have to be :upside_down_face:
You’re always a font of useful knowledge :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, the playback setup page setting overrides the attributes one, this allows you to force it on or off quickly, with the “auto” setting it reads from the attributes so you can use sample locks on one track and each can have their own timestretch setting…

3 Likes

thanks all.
I had every track set to “off” in the attributes page but only just realised there is this other setting in the playback setup page but it’s set to “auto” so I guess nothing is being time stretched which is what I wanted

it seems every track is already set to “auto” in playback setup anyway, so what I’m getting from these answers is if I want no time stretching I either leave the setting as is on playback setup and turn it to off in the attributes menu, OR turn it to “off” in playback setup and it doesn’t matter where it’s set in attributes? so there isn’t really one way that’s quicker than the other, either way I have to change a setting on every track

Do you play OT recordings or samples from card ?
Playback menu is quicker, but if you change Attributes, and use File > Save Sample Settings, this setting will last, so each time you use that sample, it keeps it.

yeah I load everything to card from my computer I don’t actually sample with the octatrack at the moment, cheers I’ll have to read up on that saving sample settings that sounds like something that could be pretty useful for me!

1 Like

thank you this has rocked my world and saved me so much time realising I can save the slices (and other attributes!) in a sample!

1 Like