Question: Entering MIDI from external devices live

I would be thrilled if I could have an answer to this…

Mainly using the Octatrack alongside my Akai MPD232 and iPad. I have mapped the 232 to trigger the track samples live. I can also trigger the Octatrack parts using apps like Fugue Machine and Patterning to create super complex polyrhythms. It’s super cool.

My problem is that I want to record these notes entered from external devices, but the sounds only PLAY. Of course I can tap in sounds live with the machine, but even in that record mode it won’t record my external MIDI triggers. What am I doing wrong?

By the way, the Manifold app on the iPad for Octatrack has some amazing randomize buttons that create some pretty inspirational starting points for compositions.

Any help is appreciated. I hope it is possible.

You need to set the Akai controller MIDI channel to that of the Octatrack’s Auto-channel. Then the controller plays (and records) the currently selected MIDI track. It’s channel 10 by default, if I remember correctly.

2 Likes
  1. :wink:
2 Likes

Nope. Got notes triggered from pads triggering Tracks 1-8 with corresponding channels. If I change the global to USBa 10 or USBa 11 (Akai only does 1-16 USB a or b… Weird, since I am hooked up via MIDI cable), it still works (triggers) but doesn’t record. If I change it to USB 1, the pad for channel 1 won’t trigger.

Regardless, the iPad is sending on 11 to the global channel and I get the same result. Plays sounds, Octatrack won’t record the triggers. Is there some ninja key combination or sub menu on the Octatrack I am missing? Sorry for the confusion.

Not sure if it’s your problem but the recording trigs track has to be the active track.

2 Likes

Got it! That works for the iPad! Amazing! Thank you!

I think the NOTE NUMBER I have set for each pad on the 232 is probably different for the individual channels (1-8) I have set up than the global channel… Which is why they don’t trigger when I switch them to Global 11. Going to check right now.

2 Likes

YUP. Changed pads to channel 11: recording! Individuals trigger at C2, C#2, D2, D#2, E2, F2, F#2, and G2.

Just recorded a sample chromatically too. Set up pads from note C5 to C7 (72-96). Wow.

Your help led me to…

Function/Project

Project > Save

Enter > YES!

3 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you.

1 Like