Question about Prophet 12

I currently fantasize about an Prophet 8, from the demos it sounds a lot more smooth than the Analog 4. I personally would like to have a synth which is capable to sound nice up to 8 khz with overtones.

I think about a Virus Desktop or Prophet Desktop. The Prophet even has a built in sequencer - but i dont know if i would use it that much, and sequence it from the Octatrack anyway.

I saw some youtube vids aswell - but i dont want a synth that generates “80ties” vibe. A lot depends on the time invested with that instrument - after a while i got more and more mileage out of the analog 4 - even more than i hoped. (guitar /violin / pipe like sounds besides the obvious bass etc.)

I love my P12, it’s a sonic powerhouse. One of the few synths I will probably never get rid of. The wavetable oscillators make the synthesis very versatile, and I think the filters sound great for poly sounds. The mod matrix lets you do pretty much anything and is super fast to dial in. The recent OS with linear FM brings it squarely into DX-style FM synth category, only with more waveforms.

2 Likes

I read recently that they’ve already changed the design to add vents and/or fans…not a good sign.

Can you tell me the differences between the Desktop /Keyboard version ? The Desktop version has a lot fewer knobs aswell? Can show a track, and direct me to some some sounds you made with the Prophet 12?

1 Like

Hmm, i had a look on this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTZvTyjF_pY

The operation is quiete streamlined on the Desktop, i think i will try one out.

Duuuude… OB-6

Try them side by side… P12 more bells whistles… but personally dont like DCOs… check the OB warmth:

I jumped the gun… i see you need a workhorse. I use it as my main keyboard but if youre lookig for crazy modulation then may not be for you. But don’t be fooled by what seems as a limitation on the mod side.

If you want a workhorse do it all get a virus ti2… but then you can forget analog…

2 Likes

I liked your track, but the film composer with the P12 wins :slight_smile: One of the reasons why i have choosen omnisphere is because i love the epicness of omnisphere, and i think the P12 is epic in the analog domain. A lot depends on the synth programmer - a good guy can make a lot of synth sounding good. I.e. if i listen to nick batts demos of synth he could sell me a lot of things which i would never had considerd. (Well i still dont buy it - but he makes me wanting those synth.)

1 Like

Sorry I don’t really have any tracks that feature it extensively handy. At least nothing that would jump out and go “wow, the Prophet 12!”, it’s a sound design workhorse though :slight_smile:

I found this one, was also very good:

Drums => RYTM

Question is now only keys or desktop version… hmm …

2 Likes

My buddy/electronic duo partner has the P12 full-keys and wishes he had the module, but it was a wedding gift so he has it for life. Also, he hates the filter but loves the rest

1 Like

Dont get me wrong, P12 can make a lot of sounds but comapring it with Omnisphere is wishful thinking. I own both Omnisphere 1&2 and pretty sure the P12 can never deliver like that. The video is fantastic, the guy can program too qand its a very versatile synth no doubt… but 100gb+ of goodness from spectrasonics is leap years ahead in terms of sound & synthesis… would take any Omni package over a P12 (unless i didnt have a keyboard) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed. Would love to see Elektron/someone make a kind of hardware Omnisphere with onboard sampling etc…

Like some of Elektron’s other outings, the AK is unique. It’s a keyboard workstation in a compact format, with a distinct and fine analogue sound. So essentially, a small synth analog studio in a keyboard format. The workflow that follows, is unrivalled if you’re after that kind of feature set. So depending on why the AK was so inspiring for you, you should be aware that this particular combination of features is unmatched.

The closest you can get is an analogue groove box with a keyboard attached to it. The Tempest comes to mind, and while I’d get shot for saying so, the Electribes are worth considering. I know you’re gunning for high end pro gear, but listening to how the Electribes have evolved in the hands of those who really know how to use them, they’re can’t be just dismissed. Especially since you’re okay with DCO’s and stuff.

I happen to think that Korg’s VA engine, as found in King Korg and Electribe, is the best one out there. Warmer than the Nords, deeper than the Novations, more character than the Rolands, and so on.

But back on topic, the AK is unmatched in its combination of features and perhaps it’s that small but organic whole, that inspired you.

2 Likes

Sure that is clear - i cant compare 60 gbyte sample source wavetable + nearly endless modulation possiblity + good software FX vs a prophet 12. I have Omnisphere since 2012, and i use it still frequently - but honestly its more fun to tweak the shit out of the analog 4 - even if i dont get the same results.

I just mean that the prophet sounds “epic” for an analog synth.

When i use omnisphere i have to modulate a lot to get it warm sounding - if you try out for example the patch “analogue heaven” on my i7 that patch eats 40% of my cpu. I mostly try to emulate the sound of analogue synthesizers anyway. But omnisphere can do this and a lot more.

Does anybody know if the desktop version also has a sequencer built in ?

no… the one I used to be a member of has vanished… good thinking batman :thup:

magic… thanks

yeah… it seems that they have some technical issues going on…

yeah man… beautiful sound…

Ti2 is something I’m considering as well… I used to have Ti2 Snow… but making own patches on it was a nightmare… and the total integration pish… don’t get me started on that…

waldorf blofeld / sledge have sample engine

Yeah had a Blofeld keys w/sample for a while. Pretty nice. Different planet to Omnisphere tho :wink: