Question about changing scenes with a midi controller

Hi guys, quick question about using a controller with the OT and scenes.

I’m looking to be able to us a controller to change scenes as well as to move the crossfader.

From looking at the ctrl change mappings I can see that the scene A and scene B buttons as well as the crossfader have messages so that’s possible right?

But is it possible to change scenes just like when using the OT (i.e. holding down the scene A or B button and selecting one of the 16 buttons at the bottom)?

Also, got any reccomendations on a simple, robust controller that sounds like it would be ideal for the job (around 18 buttons and one fader??? A little weird sounding now that I say it, ha).

Any help is appreciated!

Sc

Can anyone help me? Please? :slight_smile:

Afaik it should be possible. Momentary controls on the OT (like on-shot trig rearming) are momentary on the MIDI controller as well, so that should work just the same. As for recommended controllers, Faderfox UC-4, more about it here: Faderfox UC4 <3 Octatrack?
and http://www.faderfox.de/uc4.html

i’m not 100% sure you can actually set the scenes on the OT via MIDI; other than that, you should be ok with any MIDI controller that fits your needs :slight_smile:

edit: on Appendix C of the manual there’s a list of all the MIDI Notes and MIDI CCs that can be used to control the OT

1 Like

[quote=“SuperC0llider, post:1, topic:31725”]
From looking at the ctrl change mappings I can see that the scene A and scene B buttons as well as the crossfader have messages so that’s possible right?[/quote]

CC#048 Crossfader: (0 = left, 64 centre, 127 right)
CC#055 Scene A Assignment (0 = Scene 01 etc)
CC#056 Scene B Assignment (0 = Scene 01 etc)

Not as far as I’m aware.

Btw. why do you need to do this with a controller? Knowing the problem makes it easier to suggest a solution.

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I just want to be able to use a controller for the OT so that the OT doesn’t have to be up front on stage and can be kept in a rack in the back.

Seems like it wouldn’t be possible anyway, thanks! :slight_smile:

"SuperC0llider1h
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I just want to be able to use a controller for the OT so that the OT doesn’t have to be up front on stage and can be kept in a rack in the back.

Seems like it wouldn’t be possible anyway, thanks! :slight_smile:"

I use a quneo pad controller. I have a patch that allows me to select one of the 16 scenes for either scene A or scene B.
Its totally possible.

Oh cool, could you give me some info on how your doing that? Like what midi messages need to get sent?

Any help is appreciated.

Sc

I don’t have my notes on hand, but Rusty already gave you the CC#'s.
I think we just have to divide 128 by 16 (128 midi values / 16 scenes) to find the CC increment values.
CC#56 value 0 will assign scene 1 to scene B, CC#56 value of 4 will assign scene 2, CC#56 value of 8 will assign scene 3 etc. If my memory is correct

2 rotary dials set to CC#55 and CC#56 is an easy way to do this.
I ended up using 2 sets of 16 ‘buttons’ on the quneo so I can switch A and B at the same time to the exact scene I want without having to look at the Octatrack.

It doesn’t work exactly like it would on the OT, but it works.

1 Like

MD controling this CC is incredible. Thank$

2 Likes

sorry to bump this thread, but after going a bit crazy with this, I realized how it’s done… and it’s pretty much like musicmagus described it BUT - instead of diving the CC channel proportionally, the way to access each scene is easier:
CC55 (for scene A)
value 1 is scene 1
value 2 is scene 2
value 3 is scene 3… you get the idea

With a midi controller and midi loopback you can change scene depending on crossfader’s position. :loopy:
Buzzy example with 4 pair of scenes, changes are visible at the beginning and at 1".

16 possible, but I prefer 8 pairs > morphing possible, like normal behavior but with less resolution (resolution : 128/8=16).

I also made a script just consisting in scenes changes by pair :
Scene A 1 loads Scene B 9
Scene A 2 loads Scene B 10
etc…
Usefull if you want to change pitch (+/- 1 octave), without glide and morphing other parameters…

5 Likes

That´s awesome!

hello!!!

hello! i have a question, how is it possible to pass through the scenes a and b (as if you used the crossfader) with the control changes?
is the change of scenes possible without touching the crossfader ?? using the control changes to determine the randomic changes of the scenes ??
if yes, how do i set octatrack and how are the control change numbers to be selected and what are the octatrack channels to set? autochannel - 1 or 2 etc? except cc direct connect must be active or not to make sure the octatrack receives midi in the audio interface ?? thank you so much more than a question :slight_smile: i hope you’ll be help me elektronauti

You can control the crossfader values with CC48 (0-127), change scene A with CC55 (0-15), scene B with CC56 (0-15).

2 Likes

yes, i tried but it doesn’t work, maybe cause my OT is setting in a different way, i would like to know how to set the midi control page, the autochannel off or not… starting from 0 what i ve to do?

ahah why

Nothing. With a new project, default channel is 1.
It doesn’t depend on auto channel but on the lowest audio track midi channel.
EDIT : that’s only true for sent CC.
Any of audio tracks midi channels can be used to control the crossfader.

the selection of enable/disable cc direct connect has any effect on the workflow?
so if i open a new project , select channel 1 for the OT midi control ( default) and than open a midi channel x and apply the cc on cc page it work?
sorry for all this questions but i really try every thing