Pulse 2 vs 0 Coast (Octa)

Something to consider is the supported MIDI CC list, the Pulse has quite and extensive list. The 0-Coast seems to have a unique character to it though.

Depends on how you want to use it and which kind of sounds you’re after.

The Pulse 2 is an excellent analog allrounder.
If you want a vast variety of “analog mono synth” sound types ready to be recalled, then go for it.

The 0-Coast is a great synth on its own, but I would not recommend it as a default monosynth.
It’s more experimental and for exploring sound in a modular / west coast way of thinking.

The downside on the Pulse 2 for me was the display, which wastes 85% of its space to just display the patch number, much different than the Blofeld. Nevertheless, sound is ace.

1 Like

if you want to be able to easily select a wide range of sounds - pulse 2
if you know where to put leads in little holes and possibly more quirky sounds that takes more effort - o coast.

if you want something that might be more usable in the future (eg can also sequence cv gear , process external audio , ) though may also lead to more typical analog synth sounds - circuit mono station.

but the is going to extend this thread into a million other synth options… 0-coast 2nd hand is reasonably priced and will help hook you into patch cables and eurorack / desktop semi modular-ness.

Pulse is winning by 2-0 to Coast

(sorry, stone me by the bad joke)

5 Likes

Now serious answer: I’d go for the Pulse 2, because patch management. And if you need more hand-on controls, take a cheap midi controller.

Me? The O-coast. I like the East meets West coast concept, and I’ve had my fill of monosynths copying Moog and whatever.

You? Well, that’s up to you.

Older thread: Cheap analog synth with midi capabilities for OT

New offering from IK Multimedia: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/unosynth/

3 Likes

Amazing replies thanks nauters!

So to focus in on the discussion I will explain further details and thoughts.

I’m working in a very very confined space and I’m not a keys player so a midi keyboard is not an option hence the step sequencing / Lfo modulation using the octatrack.

I’ve honed it down to these two synths because I’ve been interested in the sound and sound design aspects of both synths.

So far in my opinion of the small amount of research I like the matrix control and sound of the pulse but have been left underwhelmed by the sound of 0 coast but loved the idea of sound design options.

I’m a producer that likes to first sound design and paint sonic colours but then want to achieve a finished piece for release.

I’m looking for lead sound and weird bleep bloops utilising oto bim and bam

Whilst the mix happens with logic DAW

1 Like

Not worried about saving as I will want to create the sound and then save it to Octa. Thanks dude

Because of the octa I’m probably not massively worried about cc due to sound designing then recording on octa and then further sound design on octa

in my experience with the 0-coast, you’ll definitely get your bleep bloops, but it’s a bit more difficult to get a nice lead, especially on the fly.

2 Likes

It’s cool as mentioned I’ll spend hours on the sound I prep for recording. But seems from the mentions so far the pulse 2 will give me both lead and bleep bloops?

I love the idea of matrix control on the pulse and the make noise modulation options. Both being the same price I feel I will try the pulse 2 first on the back of hearing more sounds out there on you tube etc that I relate too and if it’s not right then hopefully sell it and buy make the make noise to try. Thank you

Its not mentioned often, still not sure why but the Circuit Monostation is an absolute beast. I have it paired with my Digitakt, pure joy.

1 Like

Pulse 2 will give you a larger range of sounds to sample. If your only instrument is the OT, like me, that’s one of the the most important things. :thup: Pulse 2 sounds great.

1 Like

If we’re expanding options beyond analog monosynths, I’d check out Audio Thingies Micromonsta.

3 Likes

I went with 0-coast since I already have an Analog 4 MK2 that does what I want. Love the 0-coast but yeah it is more of an experimental device versus the Pulse that has presets and graphical display.

Pioneer/DSI AS-1?

I hope you’re using the A4’s CV outs to make the 0coast do crazy things?!??!?!?

1 Like

I don’t think the 0-coast has to be an experimental only device. Yes, you can do a lot of crazy things with self patching, but at it’s core it’s a normalized, great sounding one vco synth (slope can give you even a second vco), with pretty much knob per function. I can’t make it sound bad, it sounds extremely lovely, lot’s of sweetspots (even the fm sounds very sweet to me), very musical envelope. Also very versatile. Deep bass, snappy drums, no problem.
Only major difference to your bread an butter synth is the lack of a classical filter, but you can control the overtones with three different parameters. And the wavefolder sounds awesome to me and makes it a welcome alternative to all these subtractive monosynths out there.

6 Likes

Indeed! I am doing that and having loads of fun- adding reverb, LFO and delay really fatten up the 0-coast sounds quite a bit. Here is one example of what I did to layer effects from the A4 to the 0-coast:

That reminds me, I really need to create some more jams before or after I move soon.