Prophet 08 Rev2 Vs OB6

Hi,
I was wondering whether the SEM filter is worth the extra £1000?
I’m not that worried about the DCO v VCO debate, i’m just wondering about the lovely filter vs. lack of multi timbral action/LFO’s etc.
Thanks
Chris

It’s completely down to how much you want the character, much of which is the filter. Rev 2 is probably more flexible and definitely sounds better than the original P08 but that state-variable OB-6 filter (not strictly a SEM by the way, but SEM-style) is quite a special thing. I really recommend these videos for a thorough run down of those two:

He didn’t do a direct Rev 2 v OB-6 comparison but it should be enough to get a good understanding of their capabilities and characteristics.

I’ve been wrestling with this myself a bit. I really want an OB-6 module but have been strongly considering a Rev 2 desktop because the saving is big and the Rev 2 itself does sound great. After watching those videos (and reading about all the QC issues on the Rev 2) I’ve decided to get a Novation Peak (which I’ve also been keen on for a while) for the time being and save up for the OB-6 in the long term.

2 Likes

Hi

I have the OB-6 desktop and a mki prophet 8. They are both amazing.

Both have a big sound but the OB-6 is the winner in terms of pure raw sound.

It comes down to what sounds best to you. They both have a personality very much shaped by the filter.

Prophet 8 wins in the traditional modulation options by a million miles (except for polyphonic lfo where the ob-6 wins). The OB-6 is a hands on player’s synth, the prophet 8 is too but with more deepdiving capability that the OB-6 does not have (but then it has polyphonic aftertouch which the prophet 8 doesn’t).

For me, ‘no’ the extra 1000 is not worth it; I’m currently trying to sell my OB-6 desktop and keep my prophet 8.

4 Likes

I have an Octatrack Mk1, so I was thinking I could use the MIDI LFO’s, or just MIDI from there to create extra modulation on the OB-6. Are you UK based?

1 Like

Yup, based in London.

There’s expression jacks (cv) on the OB-6 for the filter freq and volume control. Don’t know about the OT, but the Squarp pyramid can pretty much modulate any CC destination.

I have the 16voice Rev2 and the OB-6.
A 16voice Rev2, split, can do the job of both up to the obvious point of the filter factor (unique voices) and the colossal raw sound of judgement day that is the OB-6.
But the Rev2 is no slouch, it makes the AnalogFour and AnalogKeys sound like an upright compared to a 12 foot concert grand.

I just watched that video above on the OB-6 vs prophet6, and that pretty much nailed the differences. The other video, Rev2 vs prophet6, is on the money too. When I had an 08 I did a side by side with the prophet 6, and kept the 08. Some issues he had (the Rev2 at the video end) have long since been dealt with in updates. Such as the PW issue, which is solved months ago.

Btw: I actually posted the other day a “want to buy” for an OB-6 desktop. Only one voice per unit with the OB-6. Not an issue with the Rev2.

3 Likes

Nice.

1 Like

Hi all, thanks for the great advice. Although the OB-6 filter and voices sound amazing , I think I am going to get the Prophet 8 rev 2 (8 voice). It still sounds great and will give me the pads and polyness that I need. The split will be very useful and I can use the remaining cash to add some eurorack to my Pittsburgh SV-1 (plus finally update to Logic x from 9). Again thanks for the insight, you have all helped me make my decision and I wish happiness, love and synths to this amazing forum!!
Chris

2 Likes

I have the OB6 and love the warm rawness of the sound albeit a little bright.
I have listened to a REV 2 a few times lately and really like the sound. It is versatile and the filter can sound more dubby than the OB-6 filter.