Promo video for Moog DFAM

I didn’t say anything about Moog bragging, and I didn’t say I wanted to change the video.

I am simply just not part of the ‘Yeah it’s got women, and I’m down with women!’ sect. I am into anyone who makes good music regardless of their gender. If Moog felt that these artists were the ones, irrespective of gender, who best represented what they wanted to say about their new product, then that’s mission success.

I would not patronise anyone by including them in something because of their broader identity. And I am not saying that is the case here, but it seems to be the assumption of those celebrating it, or else I would have expected no comment on the involvement or otherwise of women.

6 Likes

Fair enough - a pointless and baseless attack, followed by a command to ‘grow up’. I’ll let that hang there like the bad smell it is.

6 Likes

With everything that’s going on, always bittersweet funny to see dudes refusing to accept that promoting female artists visibility is a good thing. We are very far from a society where it would be kinda awkward and meaningless, hopefully we’ll get there. I’m glad Moog proudly went that way to advertise the DFAM, in a sensible manner, since the demonstration of the product is still by far the main focus . Nowadays, any action in that direction should be appreciated, at worst it should ignored; it is not ridiculous nor weird, like, seriously ?
I won’t comment further on this.

I am pretty into this DFAM, great demonstration of its raw sound. Reminds me of the Leploop somehow, always was curious about this groovebox, I wander if they somehow compare ?

4 Likes

Fair enough, i got the impression that it was being celebrated because it’s unfortunately rare to see talented women showcased in this type of video, so it becomes a note- and discussion-worthy event when it happens.

1 Like

I don’t know many women who would aspire to appear in a video like this, but I know plenty of men. I think there may be a disproportionate amount of men interested in electronic music. And one could even entertain the possibility that this isn’t any kind of conspiracy, but simply the way it is.

Having said which, I am always interested in any evidence which runs contrary to my views. And by evidence, I mean evidence (such as reliable polling data), not conjecture and supposition.

2 Likes

Unfortunately in this day and age, gender is precisely why some can’t show their merits. And, btw, this statement is close to claiming those artists in the video don’t have merit.

What was it exactly about their statement you disagreed with? IMO it was pretty on-the-ball.

We’re celebrating that Moog has showcased artists who would have probably otherwise not gotten even a second look based on their gender.

And not just sex. Multi-racial, multi-sized and creating a variety of different types of music.

Then how about just being quiet?

and a little OT for good measure:

I think the immediacy of the sequencer and that you can patch Vel offers some interesting modulation opportunities.

3 Likes

So, to sum up - if you disagree with me, shut up?

1 Like

I anyway did not say “shut up”. I am just replying to your positions on identity politics.

I’m saying if you’re “not into it”, then just sit out.

I feel that was an over mooderation.

There were no personal attacks, only a heated conversation on important issues that imo was still under control.

I’m all for equality but I’ve gotta say it’s far from the truth that female musicians aren’t given a second look based on their gender, quite the opposite actually. people love it when women like this stuff being such a heavily male dominated audience. it just doesn’t seem that many women are into it. Blokes just seem to have a stronger interest in expensive toys with flashing lights on. I’d say a lot of women have a stronger chance of musical success if they really go for it, given the amount of discussion that’s generated from literally being in an advert

1 Like

No, true, you suggested I be quiet if I disagreed. Which is a lovely suggestion from anyone that always gives you the true measure of their liberal values.

1 Like

No. Be quiet if you’re “not into it.” Totally different.

I have every right to discuss things I’m not into. You like echo chambers, that’s your issue.

That doesn’t make any bit of sense.

If you’re not into it, you have no position. You obviously take a position. Therefore must be into it and I’m engaging you.

I absolutely am not which is why I’m not replying to anyone except the person who disagrees with me.

Lads, I think at this point its getting petty, you both have valid view points, stop the back and forth

— Peter beat me to it —

The synth called Drum From Another Mother.
Women, basically half of the population, are clearly under-represented in the music world, and especially in electronic music.
I think that taking position for equality is a nice move, and should be saluted.

I just don’t get it why you guys go nit-picking about this.
I would sooooo love this Community to be more open-minded, self-conscious, connected… And united on such simple topics.

And please, please avoid flame wars. It’s just plain sterile.
You can state your position, of course. But asking people to grow up or just talking to each other like everyone doesn’t exist is just disrespectful.

9 Likes

Probably because society has divided the world into what men and women can and cannot do. This is why it’s important to showcase anyone doing anything.

3 Likes

I’m not into “good people on both sides” politics :wink:

1 Like

I think honestly the biggest reason women aren’t doing this right now is because they don’t really want to, but some do and they continue to. Musics been a male dominated game for a long time but at this point it’s so heavily male dominated that women are welcomed with open arms. when a rare one does show up it leads to heated debates. If you want women to feel equal just let them be. For example, like Morgan freeman said, “the best way to stop racism is to stop talking about it”. It’s the same for sexism, and inequality. Would you feel comfortable being involved as a woman if everytime one comes up this happens? Pair this with the sheer number of false supporters who come in being white knights anytime a woman posts literally anything, they stop bothering. I don’t blame them

4 Likes

dubious i think. if the male deciding whether she “gets a second look” finds said woman to be sexually available and desirable she definitely will. Otherwise if her music is about on par with other guys to the male “doing the looking” that person (club booker, label exec, agent, whatever) is likely to push his bros. Source: 20 years in the music industry