Program Changes to Trigger Patterns Across Elektrons

G’day all,

I was just curious of those who use program changes between elektron boxes so that when you trigger a pattern on one elektron, another elektron follows.

I’ve been playing around with this, and while I can see it as being beneficial in a live setting, I probably won’t use it much since I create a majority of my tracks via song mode.

Anyhoo, I set both my MnM and AR to receive/send program changes and put them both in song mode. I found that the AR would just exit song/chain mode and simply go to the sketch row to trigger the respective patterns the MnM was playing. The MnM stayed in song mode and almost seemed to take over the duties of triggering.

In any case, was just curious how y’all utilized Program Changes between your Elektrons and for what purpose.

This goes out to anyone who uses elektrons.

i dont use it much… was fun to mess with these for the MD rapid chaning patterns when pressing certain keys on some keyboard…

right now I use the program changes to reload a specific kit on the base station 2 … which seems not to work properly :frowning:

I use Midi program change on Elektrons for a few purposes… though, not really “between” Elektrons.

Most recently, I’ve been using MnM’s program change to switch multis on Blofeld.

It works, with a couple quirks. I have to send a CC#0 at 127 for it Blofeld to interpret the change as a multi change rather than a patch change. So I lose one of the 24 (6 tracks x 4 CC#s) total CC#s.
But this functionality is great, as I can basically use the Blofeld going into the MnM as an input of an FX track (usually Dynamix compressor), and the MnM+Blofeld work in tandem for performance. I cue patterns, and they play with multis switched, as they should.
Another quirk is that the Blofeld screen doesn’t register the multi change when received from MnM, so I have to hit its play button twice after switching, to see/edit the actual multi I am in at the time.
But in the end, the program change feature makes using MnM with Blofeld very enjoyable, and the two become one machine, in some ways.

For sound design (to be sampled), I’ve been using program change to switch individual Blofeld patches on a per step basis. (example in this video: https://www.facebook.com/djadamjay/videos/10207165540558342/?pnref=story
P-locking the program change works this way like sound locks. It works well enough, but you can’t shift around banks (again, using CC#0 , but not at full 127) too much. I basically have to stay within two or three banks that are right next to each other.

And lastly, I use program change on Analog Four to send program change to my Nord Drum 1, which is sequenced by A4’s CV track, sending out 4 pulse triggers.
Again, some quirks. The program change doesn’t happen on ND1 until the A4’s “Master Length” in the scale menu is reached. So for Direct Jump it isn’t as automatic as I would like it to be. I only exploit the direct jump feature when moving around patterns in the same tune, and generally the kits on A4 are the same from pattern to pattern. So waiting for master length to occur is not a deal-breaker. But, if I could get the changes to happen instantly with direct jump, I could get more creative in the sound design on A4 on a per pattern basis.
For now, I just try to keep it in Sequential mode when performing, and only use direct jump on A4 when cueing in headphones and trying to find the right pattern to bring in.

I don’t use program change to send from one Elektron to the other. In fact, all my Elektrons (A4, AR, MnM) are set to not receive program change. This is largely because I write whole compositions on single Elektron sequencers, and mix them together in layers for performance. Each one works as a deck, in ways. Like a good old fashioned 3 turntable deep mix.

Aye to the multi control via program changes…I’ve been getting to grips with having to parameter lock CC #0 to 127 in order to change the multi. So far, so good though.

The blofeld is a mighty multitimbral of a synth!

Anyone else use program changes to sync your patterns across elektron machines?

Been having a lot fun having the AR slave to PCs from the MnM.

Hey,

looks like the right topic to follow up.

Im using Ableton to send pcms from a midi track to the Analog RYTM.
And it works great with trigger launch mode.

Now I´m more and more using my AR (MK1) and A4 (MK2) standalone.
Press Play/Stop on the AR and the A4 follows to play/stop. I now try to synchronise the played patterns
on AR with the A4. i.e. Switching From Pattern A1 to A2 and the Analog Four plays the same.
But the A4 does not switch the patterns at all.
Im using the SyncA Midi OUT to the A4 Midi IN. The ARs Midi is set up to:
Send Clock/Transport/Program CH. The A4 is set up to receive all this.

In Ableton it was important to setup a specific Midi-Send-Channel for the pcms. As well as setting up a Midi "receive" channel on the AR. As Im not able to set up a Send Channel in the AR I left the A4`s Channel in Auto mode.

AR:
Output Port Func - MIDI
Output to - MIDI

Can anyone help to find the right checkbox to sync the patterns?

Thanks!

Is the RYTM sending program changes,
on the correct channel?

Hi Juan,

just found it seconds before you wrote.
It IS possible to program a specific OUT channel.
But AUTO mode on both devices does not work.