Problem setting up a multitimbral synth with the Digitakt

I just got a Yamaha TX81Z synth module to pair it with my Digitakt.
I want to take advantage of the multitimbrality of the TX81Z, which is 8 part multitimbral.

But now I just can’t manage to set up two different patches from the TX81Z to two different DT MIDI tracks.

For example: I want to set up the DT’s MIDI track 1 with a bass patch and MIDI track 2 with a pad patch, both from the TX81Z.

But when I’ve set up the first MIDI track with the bass, I can’t set up the second MIDI track with the pad, because it will change both the MIDI tracks to the same patch.

Am I missing something regarding the DT’s MIDI settings?
Or could it be I have to change some MIDI or other setting in the TX81Z?

do you put midi track 1 on midi channel 1 and midi track 2 on midi channel 2?

i pair each track number according to midi channels so
track 1 channel 1
track 2 channel 2
track 3 channel 3…
… and so on

2 Likes

Thanks for your response.
When I change MIDI track 2 to channel 2 there is no sound at all. So the DT only seems to receive data on channel 1. How can I set up the DT and the synth with channel 2, 3 and so on?
At least that’s what I guess will solve the issue…

hey jorisk,

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/music-production/tone-generators/2157/2091/multi-timbral_capability_of_the_tx81z

are the tracks on your tx81z set to separate midi channels? i don’t have one, maybe its enough to put it into ‘‘performance mode’’
my virus ti uses ‘‘multi mode’’, whereas on my roland JV 1080 its named ‘‘performance mode’’ too

1 Like

The midi channels on the digitakt midi tracks need to correspond to the channels you are trying to control on the tx81z. Each voice you are trying to control on the tx81z should have its own midi channel.

1 Like

There is a Performance mode on the TX81Z indeed, so I guess I have to dive into that.
Or else I have to further look into the midi channel settings in the synth.

Thanks again. I’ll get back after I’ve tried these things.

1 Like