Problem recording with one-two method

As the title suggests, I am recording using the one-two method to capture exact 8 bar loops into the OT. It works really well and I prefer this way over the recorder trig method which cannot capture the loops precisely.

The problem I am having is that due to the nature of the one-two mode, recording has to start on the second pass (start playback, press track and rec AB, recording starts when the loop cycles). This works really well for most uses but sometimes the tail of the previous pass is recorded into the start of the sample. The only way I can think of to get round this is for the recording and playback to start at the same time.

Is this possible? Or is there perhaps something else that I am missing?

My approach would be to put a record trig on the first step of the pattern and arm the track before playback.

Hey thanks for the reply!

The problem i have with recorder trigs is that they can only record precise loops up to 4 bars/64 steps. That is why I am using the one-two method, it records the entire duration of a pattern precisely, but has the drawback of capturing the ‘tail’ of the loop at the beginning of the sample.

I’m hoping that I’m missing something or I’m doing something wrong :slight_smile:

If you want to avoid using recorder trigs, how about playing an empty pattern before the recording starts, to avoid the tail.

I’m not sure if I understand the problem with the recorder trigs, but you could also use a one-shot recorder trig, if the problem is related to looping. Or remove a normal recorder trig manually after recording has begun.

Hey @djenzyme,

How about a one-shot trig (Fn+trig) on the recorder pattern ?
This way you need to arm the one shot trig by hitting yes when in grid mode, and you can go further than 64 steps.

There is no better way IMO, unless I don’t get your exact need.

edit : Snowbird you’re faster :wink:

That is an ingenious idea that I will try next! Not sure if it will work with the one-two option but I’ve definitely got my fingers crossed, in theory it should work. Thanks!

I’ve just tried that but unfortunately it didn’t work, perhaps because of my recorder settings.
Thanks for the input though :slight_smile:

Maybe i should explain a little more. I have recording settings set to record the duration of a pattern (PLEN) and trig set to One-Two. In this way I can initiate recording and it will start at the next pass and when i stop recording it will actually stop recording at the exact end of the pattern (no need for fiddly trimming). The drawback is that the ‘tail’ of the loop is captured at the start of the recording
When i use recorder trigs, when the recording goes beyond 64 steps the only way to stop recording is manually which is never accurate, it requires trimming afterwards and if it is stopped too soon, the whole loop will be slightly out of time.
I guess the loop doesnt matter if its longer as it is going to be retriggered at the correct times but it messes up the bpm readings, which in turn affect the rate and timestretch etc.

Ooh, now I get it. Thanks for the explanation. I didn’t notice that PLEN setting works for stopping the recording as well. Good to know!

I’m a bit uncomfortable with recorder trigs myself. Typically, after I have set a one-shot recorder trig to the beginning of default 16-step pattern and recorded with it, I extend the pattern to 64 steps to play my long sample. Then I delete the ONE recorder trig from the first page, forgetting that it got automatically copied to all pages. Of course, during the first playback the recorder buffer gets overwritten. But yes, I know, it’s all in the manual… :slight_smile:

This does seem to work, it is triggering the recording at the same time as the pattern switch which definitely stops the issue of recorded ‘tails’! Excellent tip to start with a dummy pattern!
Unfortunately I can’t confirm 100% because my OT has just decided to record silence every time. D’oh! Now its going to take another hour to figure out why :zonked:

I don’t really have a solution but will add that the other night I also found the 64step limit to auto length recording frustration. I had a longer melody I wanted to record using a one shot rec trig And also later I wanted to resample 128steps. haven’t had time to go back to the manual tho to see if I’ve missed something. Would be nice to be able to further finetune/extend the rec trig recording time though it it isn’t already.

This problem is solved! :slight_smile:

By using a dummy pattern at the start of playback, recording can start at the beginning of the chosen pattern, eliminating the ‘tail’ caused by the looping pattern.

Thanks for the input guys!

You can use the QREC parameter to quantise recording up to 256 steps, alternatively you can capture precise loops, that can be as long as the memory allows, using the settings that are described in this thread…
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/64-step-recording-sequencing/9643

I would use a one-shot trig as previously described. I do this all the time, and it records for whatever the RLEN is set to even if it’s longer than the pattern.

I think you might need to disable One2 though. Then arm the trig and hit play. No empty pattern needed.

I did try this but RLEN only goes up to 64 steps, when set to MAX then stopping the recording is manual and not quantised in any way. Its good for general recording purposes but not for capturing precise loops of any length.
Or at least thats what I have found so far :wink:

I did try this but RLEN only goes up to 64 steps, when set to MAX then stopping the recording is manual and not quantised in any way. Its good for general recording purposes but not for capturing precise loops of any length.
Or at least thats what I have found so far :wink: [/quote]
ahhhhh, I forgot PLEN skips from 64 to MAX… I’m usually grabbing one or two bars so I guess I forgot!

You can use the QREC parameter to quantise recording up to 256 steps, alternatively you can capture precise loops, that can be as long as the memory allows, using the settings that are described in this thread…
[/quote]
Great! This sounds perfect on occasions where I want those longer rec length syncs, thanks!

Been a while since I tried to sample something longer than 64 steps but is there a trigless trig type thing you can place on like the 96th (out of 128) steps to cut off a one-shot set to Max? I can’t remember and I’m not at home and all I’m doing at work is thinking about my Octatrack…

[/quote]
Great! This sounds perfect on occasions where I want those longer rec length syncs, thanks! [/quote]
Ive got mixed up while explaining that, the QREC is irrelevant here, it is RLEN that dictates how long the sample will be, and it only goes to 64 quantised steps unless MAX is selected.
I knew there was a good reason Ive been using the one-two methods! :slight_smile:

I see similar problem using one2. After stopped - It works the first time second time but not starting with the start of the pattern. it starts later and all is messed up. I still did not to find out to make this procedure repeatedly with proper starts and ends.