Problem connecting 2 digitakts and unwanted program changes between

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone ever tried this:
I connected 2 digitakts together (midi ins to midi outs) and was mixing 2 factory patterns together but after the pattern plays completely it changes to the same pattern on the other digitakt. You can make it stop doing it by turning off receive and send program changes but i cant find any trigger in the pattern sending a program change. Do anybody know why they are acting like that?
Thanks

Elektron devices send program changes to one another which keep patterns in sync with one another. Turning off the program change sends in the menu prevents this

Turning it off will not prevent you from sending program changes through midi tracks.

2 Likes

My Digitakt wont see a program change unless “receive program changes” in midi sync is checked on. but I’m having another issue.

Why is the Digitakt only sending 1 program change? When the pattern repeats it only send note on note off which i have no idea why.

Is there a way to make it send a program change every time on the trigger?

That is how it functions. Elektron boxes send program changes to one another to keep patterns in sync across boxes, for example if digi1 is on pattern a1 digi2 will also be on a1. There is no trigger in the pattern which makes this happen. These program changes are only sent when switching patterns, so a looping pattern will not send an auto program change every time it loops. If you don’t want your patterns to stay in sync across boxes turn off program change SEND on both boxes.

Program changes can then be sent to either box utilizing a midi track and plocking the program change function to a step.

1 Like

Okay…
What is the best way to tell the Digitakt to change to a specific pattern?

Best way? From external gear pattern change messages is the ONLY way.

From one Digitakt to another I’d say parameter locking a program change message on a midi track.

To avoid the message not getting over to the slave Digitakt in time it’s a good idea to have the parameter on step 15 on the Digitakt being the master.

Quite flexible in combination with conditional trigs. Like

Step 15: program change that switches to pattern 2 on the slave Digitakt with 4/4 conditional setting.

Step 16: program change that switches to pattern 3 on the slave Digitakt with 50% conditional probability.

1 Like

For dt to dt, if you are not utilizing the option to keep your boxes patterns in sync with one another the best way to do pattern changes is to parameter lock them in one of the dt midi tracks. That would be tracks a-h. Pattern a1 is pc1 and so forth till pattern h16 which is pc128. I think the need to be programmed at least 2 steps before the end of the pattern.

For myself I find the best workflow between elektron boxes is to keep the patterns in sync. But not keeping them in sync provides great flexibility.

Cool, parameter lockng is doing what i want. haha yeah thats wacked out when they arent in sync you can start the patterns anywhere with each other, kind of confusing.

2 Likes

Parameter locking a program change on my Digitakt will only work right after setting the parameter lock. If i stop and go back to the pattern with the parameter lock the program change won’t happen :pensive:.
Edit: Elektron User Care told me a workaround. You have to set a parameter locked Bank Change (it can be the same bank you’re already on so it won’t affect nothing) to be able to get the Program Change to change patterns after stoping and playing the sequence or manually changing patterns.