Pre arranged slices

Hello,

I am sure this has been already pointed out but I could not find it…

How can I create pre arranged sliceS?

like the video of DATALINE ( OT mangling VOLCA )…

When I sample a bar from my 303 in the OT then I would like it to play totally different because the slices have been already messed up…

I tried it but the first trig of the sequencer always start from slice 1 till 16 like the original 303 pattern, instead if the slices were messed up b4 it should start in a different and curious way…

Thanks to all

Giuseppe

Hello,
If you slice a recorder-track… and record over it… the slices WILL stay…
this means: If you record 1bar for argument sake at 120BPM and slice it 4 ways
slice1 will have kick slice2 will have snare slice3 will have kick again and slice4 will have snare.

U could use this… and have 2 tracks for this… 1 thru-track… and sample this one into a pre-sliced-buffer
use a flex-machine to play that buffer… and use the cross-fader to switch between thru-track and flex-track
and yes, If you do not switch to that flex-track with your crossfader WHILE RECORDING you can have them in the wrong order… and have fun…

there is a but in the whole story though… one which totally pissed me off, until i found a better way to do it… SLICES ARE ABSOLUTE!!!

lets explain by going back to the 120bpm example… if you speed up the bpm… and your loop should get shorter.
the slice-points stay at the EXACT sample you set them up in the first place… NOT A PERCENTAGE…
and this means, that if you speed up the bpm… your slices will be late… and if you slow bpm… your slices be to soon in time… making your music sound horribly out of sync:

So, for realtime sampling and mangling… your better off not using slices for realtime sampling. but to use
sample-start p-locks for grabbing the right data at the right moment. lets say that 1 bar sample…
set
samplestart-1 for step1:
samplestart-32 for step5:
samplestart-64 for step9:
samplestart-96 for step13:

And your 1 bar sample in your flex-track should playback flawlessly as long as you dont sample while changing bpm… but… you can resample before or after changing bpm… and it will stick in perfect time…

Slices are fine, for pre-sampled stuff… awesome techniques to be used… but not for realtime sampling tricks
then they suck ass… and your better off using sample-start.

Anyways… i hope i wrote it down clear enough… and repeatable in your own studio…
if you have questions about it… just type m on the forum, and i will try to explain it more clear…

and I might not be a dataline… but the link shows me doing the exact technique I described to create breaks and weird sound-drops… (and yes, a little bit shameless look at me motives hahahahaha)

Enjoy your day buddy

2 Likes

If i get you right, set some Trigs and p-lock different slices or use the random slice feature in the slice menu.

dude… you get me so wrong… its a whole story on Why you shouldnt pre-slice at all…
and an explanation on how to do it… in a way that ALWAYS works… at what-ever bpm.

oh sorry, my post was related to Giuseppe…

Hello,
If you slice a recorder-track… and record over it… the slices WILL stay…
this means: If you record 1bar for argument sake at 120BPM and slice it 4 ways
slice1 will have kick slice2 will have snare slice3 will have kick again and slice4 will have snare.

U could use this… and have 2 tracks for this… 1 thru-track… and sample this one into a pre-sliced-buffer
use a flex-machine to play that buffer… and use the cross-fader to switch between thru-track and flex-track
and yes, If you do not switch to that flex-track with your crossfader WHILE RECORDING you can have them in the wrong order… and have fun…

there is a but in the whole story though… one which totally pissed me off, until i found a better way to do it… SLICES ARE ABSOLUTE!!!

lets explain by going back to the 120bpm example… if you speed up the bpm… and your loop should get shorter.
the slice-points stay at the EXACT sample you set them up in the first place… NOT A PERCENTAGE…
and this means, that if you speed up the bpm… your slices will be late… and if you slow bpm… your slices be to soon in time… making your music sound horribly out of sync:

So, for realtime sampling and mangling… your better off not using slices for realtime sampling. but to use
sample-start p-locks for grabbing the right data at the right moment. lets say that 1 bar sample…
set
samplestart-1 for step1:
samplestart-32 for step5:
samplestart-64 for step9:
samplestart-96 for step13:

And your 1 bar sample in your flex-track should playback flawlessly as long as you dont sample while changing bpm… but… you can resample before or after changing bpm… and it will stick in perfect time…

Slices are fine, for pre-sampled stuff… awesome techniques to be used… but not for realtime sampling tricks
then they suck ass… and your better off using sample-start.

Anyways… i hope i wrote it down clear enough… and repeatable in your own studio…
if you have questions about it… just type m on the forum, and i will try to explain it more clear…

and I might not be a dataline… but the link shows me doing the exact technique I described to create breaks and weird sound-drops… (and yes, a little bit shameless look at me motives hahahahaha)

Enjoy your day buddy
[/quote]

Hello Dreammer…
I really appreciate the time you spent explaining me how this work…
In the link above you can see much better what I meant…
instead of having the Volca bass and beats I have a 303 & 606…
Let’s keep away the Volca beats…
In the video once the Volca Bass has been recorded and played by the flex machine it sounds completely different because the flex machine has been pre sliced before recording it…
I managed to the same for my 303, but once I REC. the 1 bar from the 303 and played by the flex machine it sounds the same because on the first trig the slice start from 1 despite I have tried random locks…
Hope I explained myself…
Thanks anyway :slight_smile:

if you like to do, what Dataline does, why don’t you ask him?

Yes… I think i understand… Read my story from above… it says somethign about locking the start-parameter
and describes how to play a bar in the correct order… what do you think what happends if you put them in the wrong order??

You sample1 bar… while the crossfader-scene mutes the flex-track with your samples in the wrong order
it should unmute your thru-track… AFTER its recorded… you use a scene to mute the thru-machine and unmute the flex-machine with the sample playing in the wrong order…

and presto… instant break…

I will try this, thanks mate

:slight_smile:

have fun

Dude, you rule

Thanx to all of you for taking time to transfert knowledge and ask good questions. I will work this trick.

:joy: