Polyrhythm on OT

I know there has been some threads on this topic. Have read them all. Still a bit confused, so hopefully someone can give me an example of how to go about setting up a 3 against 2 pattern on two different tracks. Just to get me started. Step length, where to place triggers etc and all relevant settings to make a short pattern. Thanks!

Go to the Pattern Settings Menu. There you can set track length per track.
After that you go to scale mode. There you can set the numbers of steps for each track.

1 Like
1 Like

Im already aware of those settings, its the other piece of the puzzle im struggling with.

I watched this video where someone is showing examples:

The first one, 3 over 2, is what im trying to play, but im not getting anywhere.

I am not sure where to place the trigs, how many trigs or what kind of multipliers i should have on the different tracks. I managed to do it on the A4 using microtiming, and i thought it would be easier on the OT, but ive tried hours now without any luck.

Can’t you just set pattern length to a multiple of 12 then play 2/4 against 3/4 on different tracks? 6 measures of 2/4 equals 4 measures of 3/4

Set track scale to per track.
Be sure to set the master sequencer length to INF.
example T1 step length 16. T2 step length 12.
Place some trigs, That gives you 3 over 4. Then work from there.

1 Like

Perhaps this one:

10 Likes

Realise my post is BS. Needs to be 2/4 within same time duration as 3/4. Apologies, at least we know who the dunce in the rooms is…

1 Like

Ive watched that video multiple times, its a good one, but my brain stops working after a while. So i was hoping someone could explain an example of a 16 beat measure with 3 over 2 which i am familiar with. Someone has suggested 1 track with 12 steps and another with 16. Maybe thats all i need without having to change the multiplier.

Master length 48
From @Kalimari calculator
(http://novinyl.net/octatrack.php)

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s that you want, I find something similar to 3 over 2 video example with normal scale, pattern scale =12/16 1x
T1=0xxx0xxx0xxx
T2=0xxxxx0xxxxx

1 Like

That should be correct. It’s a measure of 3/4 where you need one pattern with three quarter notes, and one pattern with two dotted quarter notes. Which is what you’ve presented here :slight_smile: For OP, learning some basics about reading music is really helpful for understanding concepts like polyrhythms, and makes it much easier to apply those concepts to units like the DT. At least I think so :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So both tracks should be set to 12 steps ?
i thought the 2/4 track should be a 16 step pattern?

I’m not familiar with polyrythm.
Do you want 3 or 2 as tempo reference ?

Good question. How to determine main signature?

Speaking of time signature. The manual describes the scaling options as different time signatures (1/8X, 1/4X, 1/2X, 3/4, 1X, 3/2X and 2X) Are these really time signatures? For me it looks like clock multipliers and dividers.

Firstly, make sure you have per track scale enabled.
“PATTERN SETTINGS MENU - This menu is opened by pressing [FUNCTION] + [BANK] when GRID RECORDING mode is not active.”

You have to set the master length as a common multiple of both tracks if you want it to work properly, as the OT will reset all tracks once it reaches that number. The easiest thing to do is set it to INF (infinite) so you don’t have to do any maths. (in [function] + [page])

You can set one track to have a different number of steps to the other, eg 4 on one and 3 on another.
If you put a kick on the first step of the 4 step pattern and a hihat on the 2nd step of the 3 step pattern it should phase in and off the beat as it loops.

or you can set each track to have a different time multiplier. like 1x on one, and 3/4x on another to get triplets. If you then set the 3/4x track to have 12 steps it should take the same amount of time to get to 12 as the 16 does to get to 16, but then you aren’t getting polyryhthm, you are just getting triplets.

My favorite easy poly is a track of variably plocked percussion on a track that has 2 less steps than the rest of the tracks, and it’ll slowly rotate making it sound like there is a lot more variation.

If you still can’t get it, i can make a 2 minute video demonstrating the above.

Also to answer your question, yes they are clock mults/dividers not time signatures.

3 Likes

:coffee:
I’d say tempo multipliers / dividers that can change time signature.
3/4 and 3/2 are for Triplets.

and yet triplets isn’t time signature. time signature determines quantity of steps in one bar.
4/4 means you have 16 steps of 1/16th, 4 steps of 1/4th and so forth.
5/4 means that your bar will consist of 20 steps of 1/16th before the next bar’s 1st step hits.

triplets determine note length by dividing the interval of both of them by 3.

2 Likes

Could you clarify about triplets, 3/4, 3/8, triplets in 4/4…?
Are 3/4 notes triplets or not ?