Polyphonic Digitakt via Retrokits RK-002 cable?

True.

I imagine that argument has been done to death anyway.

At least there is a means to achieve polyphony this way.

Really simple and cheap to get an arduino uno clone and a midi shield and use this github.com/mmaisterrena/Volca_Simple

The advantage being you can easily customise it for other stuff too, for example map velocity to slot or what have you, no soldering just plug in and upload the code.

2 Likes

I use the MIDIBRO unit for this. ( Thanks Simon )
And Digitakt sounds amazing when it is used as an ‘8 voice synth’
:aw:

7 Likes

I plan on using DT as part of a computer studio, is there a computer program that acts the same as a Midibro?

Ehh. There are a lot of single cycle wave forms in the default sounds; Elektron knows their machine is capable of more. I suspect it’s on the list of possible features, since internal midi tracks would help with song mode/pattern chains as well.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Trouble deleting samples

I have a Midipal for midi split for Octatrack and Analog 4*, but I only use that function. I wonder if a Rk-002 would be better for me.
*(Made A4 4x2 paraphonic voices with it, 8 different osc tunings, so almost 8 voices…)

@darenager I also have an Arduino I bought for midi stuff, but I couldn’t find clear informations about midi libraries etc…
Do you have links ? Is it that simple ? I know a bit of action script for Flash.

1 Like

Can someone explain a little more about how this is working/how you would set up a track for this?

1 Like

i am curious about the Arduino and the Rk-002 route as well.

1 Like

I can talk about the Midipal : you set receiving channel and the number of output channels (8), same on DT midi track (or any midi gear), lets say channel 1. You set DT tracks channels to 1-8.

When you play a chord, each note is mapped with a different channel. Ex :
C = ch1, E =ch2, G=ch3, B=ch4, etc…

2 Likes

can someone with an rk002 please help me. how do i set the midi channels as well as the midi configs to get the polyphonic behaviour on the dt? thanks

2 Likes

Yes! I’d like some help with the setup as well. I just spent an hr trying to get it working:confused: I’m mostly looking for help with setting up the Digitakt’s MIDI for this. How exactly do you have the Digitakt to use the MIDI channels to control the track channels for Polyphony?

You have to set the right firmware (volca fm) and the needed number of polymux channels (3 if you want to play 4 voices) with rk002 cabel connected to your computer via an interface:
https://www.retrokits.com/rk002/settings/kfm/

3 Likes

Than you will have to set the midi channel for an midi Channel on your dt that you want to use, eg midi A. Set it to midi channel 1 and the rk002 should than spread the notes, played on midi a, over track 1-4. hope you get an idea.

3 Likes

Thank you johannes. And you updated the RK002 using the website? I tried the website before and I was wondering if I needed to use the SYSex librarian program that retrokits recommends.

Yes, you need to set everything on retrokits rk002 setting site.

I think you dont need the sysex if you want the polyphony. I only downloaded the jazz plugin to run the site and connected the cable to my audiointerface. than i could select port 1 as my “midi out interface”, volca fm firmware and the polmux channels…

I now have one of these cables, but haven’t got it to work yet.

Please, pretend I’m a child and explain exactly what settings you use to make this work, both on the DT and on the web-midi firmware side.

Any suggestions about how I can check the cable’s even working? It doesn’t seem to be transmitting anything at all right now.

2 Likes

Me too, i’ve got the cable and tried it multiple time, but i dont’t get it to work.
On the Cable:
I’ve set the Firmware to VolcaFM, Poymux to 4 (for 5 note poly) and i’ve set the cable to react on Channel 9.
On the Digitakt:
I’ve patched the black side of the cable to MIDI out and the orange end to MIDI in.
In the MIDI Settings i’ve set audiotrack 1 to react to MIDI channel 9, audiotrack 2 to MIDI channel 10, audiotrack 10 to MIDI channel 11 and so forth.
I’ve set a nice wavetable to the first 5 audiotracks and set it to FWD Loop.
Now I’ve set MIDI A to MIDI Channel 9. If i now press the MIDI A he goes Back and forth from Audiotrack 1 to 5 and plays only one note. The chromatic mode doesn’t work.
Can you guys explain to me and to everyone, what i’m doing wrong?

Greetings
Jack

Ohhh turned out, that i had Auto Midi Channel set to Channel 9 AND I’ve had to lower the ocatve range on the chromatic mode cause the wavetable wasn’t designed for the high register.
So if you guys have some troubles setting it up, consider also this two things to fix, this is why i’m not deleting my post :smiley:
Bye!

2 Likes

Anyone know if there’s a Max For Live plugin that can do the same thing in Ableton?