Pioneer DJS-1000

What up @ILL-GREEN !

I’m also on the MPC forum. Been on that one the longest.

But. After playing with the SP for a week now. You were right. There’s too much overlap with the MPC. The DJS was a different and maybe more inspiring unit.

The DJS does the mutes per pattern. Feels more like a unit that’s meant to be played. Workflow. Etc etc etc.

But the SP sounds so much better and has some better production features.

Ugh. Don’t laugh. But I might go back to the DJS.

I can tap out jams on both, but one is more inspiring than the other :confused:

What I’m realizing though…the MPC will never be sold. It’s a production unit. Straight up. Love it. The Pioneers are made for performing. Love it too. I think I produce better when I can perform the tracks rather than “produce” them. I like firing sequences live versus arranging them.

And btw: you don’t have to stop the sequencer to sample on the SP. They both are pretty identical in that way. Only real difference to sampling is on the DJS, you have to save your samples to the thumb drive. And the DJS has a bigger screen.

I prefer these over the OT. Hitting that 8 track limit (sound locks aside)…doh. And the two button combo to fire sequences was annoying for me on the OT. Just lock the pattern page and let me jam my patterns for crying out loud

1 Like

The DJS is built like a heavy tank. It’s super solid. The SP feels flimsy compared to the DJS. I had both for about 4 or 5 days side by side. FYI.

I just can’t stand that plastic CDJ build though. I have a feeling the SP-16 is going to get a lot of surprising OS updates sometime soon. I bought one when they were first released, returned it, but have kept my eye on them since. I’m probably going to end up picking the Digitakt again anyhow.

Thats what is strange about Pioneer, they been hush on the details on this thing. But realtime processing is talked about in the manual as one of the DJS’ key feature.

It might be a DJ sampler for performance but I’ve used samplers with less features and less sample time in the studio. Believe me, there is nothing like it, you just keeping flowing on it.:grinning:

Definitely making one. If you are a Hip Hop-head, to me, the DJS is a love letter to boom bap.

1 Like

@djadonis206 @William_WiLD @ILL-GREEN can you guys have a peep in this thread and let me know if Toraiz, DJS or MPC live might be suited? Or any other suggestions? Any decent multi loop samplers for live jams?

1 Like

Sure :wink:

1 Like

I read the thread but don’t quite follow what you’re looking for. The Pioneer line uses Scenes which are a collection of samples and patterns.

I never used the live sampling feature on the DJS. But both the DJS and Toraiz can resample, and sample while the sequencer is running…

How many scenes can be in memory at a time, like can you have lots of patterns and samples loaded for a hour long set without having to stop to load?

16 scenes x 16 sample slots. 16 scenes x 16 patterns. Not sure how big the DJS internal drive is. The Toraiz drive is about 7 gigs.

Some other minor detailed differences

DJS does mutes per pattern. SP does not.

DJS has a better/deeper undo function

SP has sends and master FX. However, you can only use either the sends or master FX. Can’t use both at the same time

Since the DJS has no send FX, the only reverb is on the performance FX

DJS does not have a volume control

DJS has a hot swap scene function.g Meaning, you can just jump straight to another pattern inside a different scene versus picking a scene than a choosing a pattern. SP can’t do the hot swap.

Extending a sequence on the SP automatically copies the bars. On the DJS, you have to manually do it

Little stuff like all that.

5 Likes

I think you described this backwards the sp is built like a tank and the djs is plastic.

the djs stores everything on a usb drive no usable memory

I’ve had the sp16 since release and the sound and filters as a standalone unit still can’t be beat. Pioneer recently responded to me and said that they are working on a firmware update but didn’t say when it will be released. With all the backlash Pioneer received from 1.4 I think the next update will be a good one.

it was deserved hope it will have a positive effect especially for producers. At least if they don’t want to go to far in the functionality… it would be better to change the terms of marketing and communication, that the target is the djs as always… (Even if here i would say mixing is important for a DJ and they failed on the non-destructive mixing internal stuff capabilities.)

I had both side by side for about 4 or 5 days. The DJS has a much more solid and heavy build versus the SP. the SP feels like a toy compared to the DJS.

I never noticed the fact the DJS was made with plastic. IMO it’s built that well.

I think the convertors are indetical on the SP-16 and DDJ only difference is the stereo Analog filter is missing
It just makes no sense that Pioneer would degrade the sound quality , in fact i think its impossible that the SP-16 would sound better if you took the DSI filter out of the equation.

Ok that is a key piece of information and something I would like to do with the Octatrack --i think the closest it can get to this is here

The Octatrack just falls short, just barely out of reach of what ILL-GREEN just described.That can be read as a pretty tidy summation of the humanity I suppose ; the OT strains for something greater, but never quite gets there. :slight_smile:

I feel you there, but what ILL-GREEN describes can be done on OT.
I mean: you can sample and chop what you already have sampled as long as you won’t use not-yet-sampled incoming real time audio. Those real-time sampled audio can be timestretched, reversed, high pitched etc.

The sound is not degraded on the DJS. It’s very crisp, clean and loud. It just sounds different than the SP, for the reasons you mention.