Performance tips for octatrack

i hesitate to make this topic because it is so vague, but its something i cant really discover through the manual.

I’m looking for some suggestions as to effects or parameters that can be tweaked or p-locked to get some good or glitchy effects and sounds, or some parameters that can be nob twisting fun or assigned to the fader for some good performance fun. for example:

*I usually use the dj equalizer and raise the low end, and for the cross fader lower the low end and raise the mids and high end.

*I use the delay as a beat repeat effect by assigning the cross fader to raise the send and feedback parameter.

*it seems like messing with with the retrig number and retrig rate gets some cool effects.

*the lofi parameters and fun to screw with to having the cross fader raise some parameters to really distort the sound.

thanks for any and all suggestions, I’m just looking for some interesting ways to use effects (cant seem to find a way to use a lot of the effects) or parameters while playing and i think this would be an extremely helpful topic for people trying to get the most out of their octatrack from people who have a bit more experience with it.

Scenes are the gateway to the land of Unlimited Improvisational Variation. Couple quick ideas here:

If you have a programmed drum part (with hits as opposed to a loop) set a scene to drop your AMP Dec/Sus/Rel settings to super-short hits.

Create a scene that changes your sample start point.

Don’t be afraid to make scenes with extreme settings.

SuperTip: Create 8 very different scenes. Hold down the Scene B button and “play” your scenes like a keyboard while running the fader. :imp:

1 Like

awesome those were all very helpful, i didn’t even think to use the amp like that on drum sounds especially noticeable on things like cymbals and long droned out drums

Huuuugely * T R U E *
My tip:
implement MatrixChains!

^ yea ive been putting my Maschine to use creating drum patterns that evolve and slicing them to use for that technique, its really awesome.

but to understand that correctly is it that you take 16 different breaks or tracks, and slice them 64 times so that each is cut 4 times?

I’ve been wondering about this myself. In my 2 or 3 live performances with the Octatrack, I’ve mostly messed with

• delay sends
  • filter sweeps
  • playing with Hold/Release values as Allerian suggested

It’s been fun, but I still feel like 95% of what’s going on is still pre-programmed.

One thing I’ve recently started to add is one shot trigs for fills. If you’re programming drums on Octatrack, add some one shots, then hold Enter as you’re switching patterns and you’ll get fills over the transition. By pressing Enter selectively you can get some variations.

Trig modes are good for this to change (for instance) slices on the fly with your fingers. I also like switching up stuff like crazy and then reloading a part.

Hey there AlephNull.

In that long thread i’ve linked above you’ll find your answers.

About tips…

OneShots are great! TrigModes are great!

So…you can take a look at some practice…have you seen SecretMusic’s videos or Skab’s videos?

Here we go:

OCTATIPS

SECRETMUSIC channel:

in this channel you’ll find more in-detail explanation (it’s perfect if you are a beginner with OT) but also some nice and clever uses of some standard functions (you just have to wait and he discloses something/somewhere during the video)

There a re also other videos really useful…but these ones are some i remember

Oh…and dont forget the stretching practices from the marvellous Allerian:

Even if the OT’s stretching algorithm is not that fine…you can pull out looooong drones of different tissue and fabric…of superfine timbre

1 Like