Pad triggers + OT

I used to have an mpc500, and found the pad-mashing beat creation to be f’n sweet. Was hoping to use my beatstep to trigger track hits on the Ot, but it seems that for the beatstep cc messages are knob-only.

Anyone have success with, well, anything?

I use a MPD32 to control the OT, all the time. The pads are set up to trig tracks with different notes (e.g., kick base pitch, kick pitch +7…), start/stop recording on pickup machines and change patterns. As a side note, one bank of pads controls iMPC which I usually have running in the background and either provides audio to the pickup machines or runs in parallel. Additionally, a MPX8 for standard 909 snare, clap, hats, ride, crash and some vocals to be always quickly accessible!

For velocity-sensitive control that also makes use of aftertouch and records note lengths, I plug a Midi converter between OT and MPD32:

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/ot-midipal-drum-pad-great/7717

The OT has mapping for note triggering of stuff too, first page in midi appendix at back of manual

i don’t understand, samples respond to midi note? You mean track trigs?

op wanted to trig tracks and only has midi notes to make use of, manual spells out all possibilities

Thanks to you both.

Yes, track trigs are midi notes, but note on and off seem to be cc messages (p2 of midi section) hence my question.

Yes, just plug a Midi converter between your drum pad and the OT, and you can remap everything as you like. Choose the drum pad controller which you like the most by it’s hardware layout and let a Midi converter take care of the rest. I wouldn’t buy a 2nd-choice drum controller just because its pads are able to send CC’s.