Overbridge, who's happy?

Every time this sort of thread has come up my reply has been the same: overbridge is absolutely amazing. Game changing workflow wise. I can’t believe how much it’s helped my songwriting flow. The GUI is beautiful and everything works perfectly for me. Sync is dead fucking on. I have ZERO complaints.

I feel emphatic in this because the opposite opinion is espoused widely around here which seems to result in a groupthink mentality that the software is buggy and unreliable. But then when you dig in a bit…it appears that many of the critcisms come from users who either haven’t even tried the software, or tried a few times and gave up. I had troubles at first too - my bug reports quickly revealed that the OS I was running (10.7.5 I think it was) wouldn’t ever work well with OB. Instead of bitching about elektron, I sold my computer and invested in a Mac optimized for the purpose. I wanted it to work and was willing to do what was advised to make it happen.

I realize that this isn’t always easy or possible. But I think about it in pragmatic terms. You want it and think it’ll help your workflow? Take steps to help yourself. Sick of it not working in Logic? Download ableton intro for free and give it a whirl. Don’t think it’ll help you much? Skip the free software option.

But bitching about it and how elektron has gone down the wrong path…what’s even the point of that?

8 Likes

100% agree

1 Like

It has to be said that Elektron are probably through the worst with OB. They have no doubt learned a tonne, and realistically the time from Heat release to fully functional AH plugin was dramatically shorter than what AR or A4 users had to wait. Who knows a future hardware release may come with its OB counterpart straight out of the box as that gap shortens, they probably have systems in place now that help them streamline the process at every step of the way.

Also in regards to functionality, I’ve found there’s a specific way to run OB which greatly helps in system stability. My understanding is that, it’s necessary to properly exit an OB session rather than simply put your computer to sleep or turn off your device mid session. For example, if you’re done, save and close the Ableton session before turning off your Elektron machine. Otherwise, there appears to be system wide conflicts necessitating a reboot. Likewise, sleep functionality mid-session is ill-advised, best to either leave the setup running, or shut it down altogether. Then you can shut down your Elektron box. I often hastily shut down the Elektron box with Ableton and everything still open, seems to be a no-no in my experience, best to shut the machine down last.

5 Likes

Totally.

1 Like

I like the promise of overbridge, but am one of the unlucky ones who cannot coax a stable, crackle-free performance out of it.

I initially invested into an AR because I knew that I’d be able to multitrack it via overbridge. Since this has proved to be unsatisfactory (with my system), I am now multitracking via a soundcraft 12MTK.

I am quite hopeful overbridge will eventually mature into a beautiful system, where we can truly bridge the gap between ITB and standalone operation. All it takes is a lil more stability and the ability to manage both samples and sequencer patterns via the DAW.

But yeh, still not going to update my shiny new AH in the fear of bricking it… I’ll wait for ob 1.15.1 lol

EDIT: ended updating to 1.15 after all, and got everything working after some futzing around (osx upgrade did it for me)

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Overbridge not working with overhub

Or, in this case, a man of melodrama.

:elan: :elan:

Big Brother is in the house

1 Like

I agree with you! Last night I did the process of upgrading the AH, A4 and AR. I had zero issues, installing OB was smooth, after rebooting the systems (PC and devices) I was able to use the plugin with no issues. Sync works perfectly, and to be honest: the visual feedback on what’s happening in the AH is gold, seeing what’s is happening with the triggers, envelopes and lfo’s is very helpful in understanding what the device is doing, improving my ability to operate it. I’m not a mac users, but my windows 10 laptop works and my windows 8 desktop also.

3 Likes

^ Oi Stop stealing my couplets!! ^

I’ll let you off this once :punch: :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a fair cop

I consciously ‘borrowed’ the imagery, but evidently, subliminally also remembered the good gag :thup:

so in the interest of fairness, we can do a reverse role swap where you’re on the keys borrowing my style … d’ya think you could manage to write something non-controversial tho ? :wink:

ill try my best :raised_hand:

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Inappropriate

MAJOR HAPPY HERE.

Just did the scary update of all my devices (A4, RYTM, Heat) and it went to plan.
I’ve had a few crackles, which I seem to have resolved with buffer size changes and focus on real apps.

Spent the last three hours rinsing the beasts with no issues at all. For me, i’m declaring stable.

First Overbridge experiences weren’t great, but 1.0 fixed a lot, and this (1.15) seems better.

2 Likes

So, switch from Logic that you’ve taken years to master because Overbridge doesn’t work properly in Logic even though Elektron has “advised” it does. The point to many is that its being advertised as compatible with Logic, even though countless people are experiencing problems.

Yeah I’ve yet to form an overall opinion on OB but don’t agree with anyone saying ‘switch daw’ to people with problems. If Elektron themselves took that stance officially it would be pretty arrogant…

That’s what I do but still experience major “system conflicts” so I don’t agree with that!

I see a lot of fanboy talk about Overbridge :smiley: First i respect Elektron’s choice for going on this technology.

But personally:

First OB it doesn’t meet my sound quality demands. Even when i don’t care about sound quality in jam sessions Overbridge would not be slave to external sources.
Second the people who inspire me use some Elektron machine’s but i never saw one using Overbridge. It says not much by itself but for me it’s a mutual feeling.
For a mainstream example did you ever saw a great tutorial in Cuckoo style :wink:
Third it sounds like a DAW in the end. With the Analog machines the magic happens with analog summing.

By now i am moving slowly away from Elektron machines i had all of them but the workflow is to much the same screen encoder wise. So for me only the Sidstation, Analog Four & Rytm. And no interest in the Analog Heat because of Elysia Karakter.

My wish: stand alone hardware Overbridge mixer and a next generation Overbridge sampler

1 Like

Shortly after upgrading I had an instance were I was getting a lot of interference in Abelton when working with the AR and Overbridge. It would start to judder every 8 bars and followed by a bleep. I tried reloading Ableton and then rebooting my laptop, but problem still persisted. Turned out to be some glitch with the Ableton project that I’d saved, but reload an earlier instance corrected the error.
Its always worth saving early ideas with a different number after the name every time you progress slightly, as I tried everything to resolve the above problem, but nothing would work other than loading in a project instance that I had saved before the problem started.
So far since then, I have progressed quite a lot with the project without any such issues.

I seem to have lost my Transport controls after loading the new OB and A4 update. Everything else is fine for me, I just want my A4 to play when I press play in Ableton.

Post udate, transport worked fine :frowning: