Overbridge + Logic Pro x 10.2.2

I’ve had the analog rytm for just over a week now and it’s pretty frustrating to get overbridge working with in logic pro on separate tracks. Half the time I don’t hear anything but know that audio is going into a channel. I open the Overbridge control panel, which I can see is getting an input on the main L&R from the rytm, but not much else.

Is there some major issue with this machine working and recording on separate channels, also syncing, etc in logic pro? Maybe there is something i’m missing here?

Methods of people getting this working would be greatly appreciated, i’m tearing my hair out on this. People’s track set up, audio or software instrument, core audio or bit accurate, Settings in logic etc… Or even just anyones thoughts. I’ve tried most and still no joy. It’s a minefield.

My main device settings in Logic are audio input - analog rhythm bit accurate then audio output - apollo twin.

All I seem to read that it works on ableton and that is the last thing i want to change - the program i use to make music or buying a new audio interface.

I’m probably going to take it back to the store in the next couple of days, just seems so frustrating.

Looks like a decent box but hooking it up via one usb cable to logic should be pretty easy I would have thought.

My setup,

UAD-2 Satellite TB Octo v8.5 | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Macbook Pro Retina 15" (Mid-2015) 2.8GHz i7 16Gb 1Tb • El Capitan v10.11.4 | Logic Pro X v10.2.2 | Elektron Analog RYTM v1.30 | Overbridge v1.10

1 Like

Anyone care to help or are you all ableton users! :wink:

1 Like

I would also love to know people’s step-by-step instructions for this. I’ll try it myself over the next couple of days. In Ableton everything works perfectly for me, but Logic is much more of a pain.

EDIT:By step-by-step, I don’t mean, ‘set it up as an external instrument then bus to blah blah blah…’, I mean ACTUAL step-by-step instructions. As in, which screen, which options, etc etc.

+2

Why Elektron doesn’t tell us this step by step seems a bit absurd. Maybe it just doesn’t work yet?

1 Like

Seems that here are not so many logic users, but there is already a thread about logic and overbridge.

it´s a bit of a … work around :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

that worked for me yesterday with A4 and AR but it needs time to set up.

1. use your normal sound card as audio interface
    1b. switch on different channels in the Overbridge setup if you wish record spereate channels
    1c. switch on Stereo Master in Overbridge setup if you wish to record chords

2. add track with software instrument -> AR / A4 Multi Out instrument

3. with “+” at the bottom of the channel fader you can add the channels for the individual outs

4. set Overbridge sync to “clock”

5. mute different tracks from master channel via Overbridge kit menu if you wish to record each track.

HIT PLAY

that shoud bring you the sound of the elektrons into logic! But you can´t record it as individual audio files.

1. set fx send of each Overbridge track to a seperate audio bus (for example Overbridge AR Bassdrum channel to bus 1, Overbridge AR Snaredrum channel to bus 2, etc etc with a send value of “0 db”

2. if you want to record chords from the A4, it´s only possible via the stereo master out. Let´s say you have a 3 notes synth chord on track 1 and a pad with 3 notes on track 2. Overbridge would get the notes spreaded over the different tracks but not all 3 notes in one channel. Set panning of track 1 to left and pannig of track 2 to right

6a. send Stereo master out of the A4 to Bus 20 and Bus 21 with a send value of “0 db”)
6b. add 2 audio tracks, set input from Bus 20 or 21 and insert logic internal “gain” plugin. switch to mono, set balance to 100 % left or right. that should give you the chords of track 1 or track 2.

1. add the other audio tracks for the seperate channels and set the input to the corresponding bus. So audio track 1 with input from bus 1 for AR bassdrum … and so on.

2. enable input monitoring on all audio tracks (its the yellow “I” at the bottom of the fader)

3. set all outputs of the Oberbridge incoming tracks of the software instrument to “off”.

Enable record on the audio tracks, press record in logic, have fun. Worked for me yesterday. Even had the ocatrack synced to the AR, sending midi out to Volca Bass and sending midi sync to XOXBox (recorded both via A4 external in). Just in the middle of 8mins recordings are some glitches and timing wobbles … but the machines went back on timing after 2 bars.

7 Likes

Thanks for this. Really appreciate it. Not sure how useful it will be if there are glitches and timing issues, but I’ll give it a go later.

yes, but it only was for 10 sec or so … so in that case it would be okay to cut 10 sec out of 8min recording.

maybe can upload a template with the LOGIC X settings.

1 Like

I have it kind of working in Logic now without the need to mess around with my apollo twin sound card settings and can now record individual channels/pads via just the usb cable through Logic, however to record the multitrack you need to set Overbridge to 16 Bit and the sync in logic isn’t bang on the beat for some unknown reason. Maybe that’s me, i’ve only had the unit a week today. Anyway, i’ve done a tutorial on it all below, hopefully some kind folk may help me trying to get logic synced up before i send the unit back to the bloody shop!

Here’s how it goes -

RYTM > set Overbridge mode (kind of obvious)

Overbridge Control Panel >

1. Changed Bit rate to 16 Bit.
  2. Unticked Main L&R “Input from Analog RYTM section”.
  3. Ticked BD1, SN2 RS3|CP4, BT5, LT6, MT7&HT8, CH9&OH10 and CY11&CB12 “Input from Analog RYTM section”.
  4. Clicked Apply then pressed play on RYTM demo presets.

Now I can hear the sound and can see all the individual channels coming through in Overbridge, like so…

Logic Pro x 10.2.2. >

Then, this is the best bit, creating a template in Logic :frowning:

First off, make a new project with a Instrument channel.

Select new software instrument, select Analog RYTM plug, I then left the multi-timbral alone and left my output settings as the Apollo Twin. Click Create.

You will see one instrument track in Logic, open the Analog RYTM plugin at this point and just click the Clock so Logic is ‘supposed to sync to it’?

Now lets go back to the mixer and click on the + button to the bottom of the Instrument channel 8 times. Like below -

Now we have 9 instrument tracks, I just renamed them all BD, SN, RS&CP and so on including a Main L&R, even though I didn’t end up using that one…

You should end up something like this - I decided to stick it into a track stack to clear things up, you’ll see why i did this as we go on :frowning:

Now goto back into Logic Mixer, you now need to send all these seperate instrument channels to their own playbus.

The newly named instrument channels will help you route them to the next destination, their own individual £1 megabus, like in the photo below with remembering some of the outputs like RS3 & CP4 etc go on on the same channel.

You should end up like this -

err, i mean this…

Now, create 8 audio tracks, you could go 9 for the Main L&R but I didn’t bother, probably got bored. Oh, you might aswell arm them for record and stick the input monitoring on while your here by checking the boxes when adding the audio tracks. Like below -

Now you will end up like this -

Now lets change the input for the BD channel to bus 1, which has the BD1 on.

Now do the same for each audio track input, i.e. bus 2, bus 3 and so on… keep them named otherwise as we can see from the picture below is can get a bit crazy in mega bus world! The names are their to guide you but just keep it in sequence and you can’t go wrong.

After this I just cleaned things up using tracks stacks -

Ok, i did have a bit of an issue with triggering the pads and hearing any sound after all this was done, I thought it had just stopped working for some unknown reason - and it did do it after recording on few occasions… but if you click and open the Analog plug everything works again! Like below -

Record the RYTM >

You should end up like this -

Summing it up, if i use a 4x4 beat on it’s own, or with any other elements it doesn’t record on the first beat, even if i stick a 2,3,4 bar count in. Hopefully someone can chime in here.

Hope this helps anyone in the same situation as me, well sort of anyway. I’m still unsure if i will send the RYTM back to the store, I still have three weeks left to return it.

Maybe there is a setting I haven’t found in Logic yet, nothing has helped the sync so far anyway.

7 Likes

yeah same way as I did, just used also the A4 incl external inputs. I guess it is the only way at the moment. Thanks for the nice pics. Hope this will people help to understand how to set it up.

Best thing would be, to make this template and save it. So you can use it for every new song. Overbridge sync set to “clock” also gives me the best results - even the AR can send out midi sync to other devices like Octatrack or Xoxbox. It will record in time via A4 external inputs.

You have an Apollo Twin which is known for it´s good AD converters. Did you compared recording via Apollo Twin to the recording via Overbridge?

Evening Insect, yeah pretty much the same way to be fair, i’ve got it saved as a template for anyone who wants it… just a shame it doesn’t seem to sync bang on the button, it comes in just after one bar for me…

not sure if it’s something in Logic’s settings that can be tweaked?

This is what I end up with -

The blue track is a stylus rex kick drum track mixed down to audio.

I don’t think there is anything I need to change in the RYTM’s settings as it all should be synced through Overbridge? I read on the Logic 10.2.1 thread that member toot! had the AR working on 10.2.2, wonder if he would share his Logic settings and setup to see if there’s anything we’re missing out here?

Also noticed that member Dergit had some good info on another thread here http://www.elektronauts.com/t/rytm-and-logic-someone-please-help/18346 which i’m going to give a crack tommrrow, wonder if he would like to chime in with how he’s getting on with the AR/Logic sync atm? - edit didn’t work for me.

Also wondering if the Elektron USB Overhub would make it sync correctly? I know it’s capable of working with USB 3.0 or maybe it is just a total Logic sync thing seeing as Ableton seems to work without hitch (i take it does anyway). I know on the link above that member Rex Mundii got it syncing at 170bpm using an Expert Sleepers MIDI USAMO, not sure how he is getting on… would be interesting to know if that is a solution and if you can still record 8 channels in one go as I’m not sure if that is through Overbridge or not.

Havn’t compared the Twin vs Overbridge recordings yet Insect, I will do… hopefully once i get a proper sync on Logic otherwise i’m taking it back to the store and probably will get a diff solution! The RYTM looks like a great machine, but the overall sync with Logic I need now, i don’t want to keep going in and chopping up, or changing my DAW all the time, it’s 2016.

I was reading up about the RYTM around the same time Elektron released the new 1.30 update, that’s when I bit the bullet and brought it… I thought I struck gold at the time with everyone raving, doesn’t seem that way with Logic! It’s great with headphones though!

1 Like

Wow
Wot a nice topic.

Thanks!

I have one question.
I did everything as you told…but where’s my “R” buttom?

Hi Mate, you will find the option when adding the audio tracks, just check both boxes. Maybe you will get it to sync!

Reading all the threads about Logic and Overbridge sync doesn’t make me happy. It’s endless. Why should I feel like I have to move to ableton after I paid over a grand!

I’m giving this box another week as I do love it with headphones the cans on but after then if nothing has changed then it’s heading back to the music store. Last week was learning with was fun on the headphones but this week trying to get it to work in logic has been totally unproductive.

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/logic-pro-x-and-overbridge/13358/112073

Just updated the RYTM to 1.30B from 1.30 and then also upgraded overbridge and installed new version 1.10.1 from 1.10 Same problem even after I started a fresh project template.

Hey m8.
Have you tried “low latency mode”?

cantona999: I know this is anoying … but I can deal with it.

There are 2 ways to work around:

1. move the non Overbridge tracks (eg. logic instruments or other audio tracks) to the point where the overbridge recoding starts. If you have finished all your recordings, move all audio tracks back to 1.1.1.1

or

1. Set the track deleay of each non Overbridge track to “+???” to set it in time

i made a recording in 123bpm and it is exactly 1 bar difference … so song starts at 1.1.1.1 and overbridge recordings starts at 2.1.1.1 and by the way the 4/4 bassdrum sounds in sync without jitter.

I have an idea for another workaround of the timing offset when recording. Will check my idea next 2 days in the studio and will tell you.

Low latency mode is another idea to try.

edit: when zooming in the audio file of the bassdrum, you can sea a minimal jitter and I hear a little phasing effect when turning on the metronom. But for me this is not a big deal, just use 1 bassdrum sample and loop it.

1 Like

Hi, I’m trying to create an overbridge template in Logic 10.2.2 as per the guidelines described by cantona999 and insect. Though for an Analog Four.

When I click on the little ‘+’ button to produce the additional instrument channel strips (for the individual synth tracks), none of these additional channels show a Record Enable button. Only the original channel has a Record Enable button.

I also had to manually create arranger tracks for each of these channel strips. Is there some trick to getting the + button to create a channel strip AND track ?

@cantona999, I’m curious how you managed to get the Record Enable buttons showing in your setup (as in the 5th pic in your post above : http://www.elektronauts.com/t/overbridge-logic-pro-x-10-2-2/19021).

Despite the lack of Record Enable buttons, I can record MIDI data onto these tracks. Which kind of enforces the fact that the buttons should be there.

I get the same results loading a multi-instrument instance of Reaktor, so quite possibly this is a bug in Logic rather than an Overbridge issue.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Hi Mate, the rec must have been there when I added those instrument tracks.

I’m using LPX as my main daw and I’m not having any issues with A4 and OB.
Anyway My workaround seems a bit different compared to yours guys.

I’ve first created an aggregate device on OS X preference, which include my soundcard + a4, then in LPX i setup for every input the corresponding track. That’s it.

Regarding syncing problem I’m not using the OB options, just the regular sync parameters of the daw.
Hope this help somehow, if you need more details I can attache a couple of pics.

2 Likes

Curious. I think I’m using the same versions as you, OS X 10.11.4, Logic 10.2.2, OB 1.10.0. Ah well. :slight_smile:

Overbridge is a kind of AU Software instrument, same like ES2, Arturia Moog or NI Massive. I guess there is no other way to record it out of Overbridge than send the audio to a bus and input the bus into an audio track.

Yeah aggregat device is another option!