Outputting Digitone to a single 1/4” input?

Ahhh, even though a pic was posted I had this kind in my mind:

Either way didn’t seem like a good idea unless you had a TRS input on the interface as you say… :slightly_smiling_face:

Damn @cold_fashioned I learned a lot from that post and this thread in general. Sounds like you gave @Birth_Chord a solid solution. I don’t know if I have it down 100% though. If you plug a TRS cable into one of the DN inputs would you have that same phase cancellation problem?

1 Like

Don’t own a digitone but could imagine you would want to run it in stereo

Thanks mate just read a bit of it.

Would you consider one ‘project’ to be the equivalent of one potential song? I mainly use a DAW but being able to organize an entire album essentially inside of an instrument would be amazing on the go.

Not necessarily. One project has 128 patterns.

I personally will only use 4 patterns in a “tune”, and do a lot of muting and tweaking live.
This way I can fit 32 tunes in a single project.

This is important for live performance because changing projects stops the sequencer.

Some folks will use 16 patterns or more for a tune. It’s up to you.

2 Likes

From the manual, the Digitone inputs are mono inputs, so a TRS cable would only give you the one side/signal. You wouldn’t get phase cancellation. The phase cancellation happened to me in the audio interface because it’s a balanced connection, so it’s taking the L/R signals and trying to create one signal out of them. If you want to learn more, look up unbalanced vs. balanced audio connections.

1 Like

ok so if you only want one (stereo) output from your DN, you connect both outputs to your soundcard, using either:

2 TS 1/4" cables
2 TRS 1/4" cables (if your audio interface supports balanced connections and you have issues which improved CMRR might fix)
1 TRS to 2 x TS 1/4" cable from the headphone output into your audio interface

Then just connect your monophonic input sources to DN inputs L & R for up to two devices and adjust levels from the DN. I you can use a maximum volume setting from the devices being input to the DN, your level balance(s) between the DN sounds and the input sources will remain in the pattern data and thus always get saved and recalled perfectly, along with the fx settings.

If you need to monoize everything coming from the DN, justa pan everything L100 and use only the L output from the DN to your audiointerface. However, this will change the sound if fx or unison detuning is in use.

1 Like

I much prefer having two discreet output busses myself. T1 & T2 are L100 while T3 & T4 are R100, mixed in SQ5. You can get a much more nuanced mix this way, adding stereo effects is trivial.

However, for some scenarios this is not practical, of course.

1 Like